Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
I once heard that in AmE you could 'ditch a person you don't like'. Could 'dodge' be used with the same meaning in BrE?

Thanks a lot!

Hi all,
I once heard that in AmE you could 'ditch a person you don't like'. Could 'dodge' be used with the same meaning in BrE?

Thanks a lot!
No, "to dodge" means "to avoid".
I believe the current expression is "to dump someone".

To ditch is to abandon someone as the group moves on. Say 5 or 6 people are hanging out at the mall. They don't much like Eric. So when Eric goes to the bathroom, they all decide to leave and move on to their next destination. They have left Eric behind. They have ditched him.

In contrast, to dodge Eric would be to see him walking in the mall and to move where he could not see you, to thus avoid contact with him altogether.

To ditch is to abandon someone as the group moves on. Say 5 or 6 people are hanging out at the mall. They don't much like Eric. So when Eric goes to the bathroom, they all decide to leave and move on to their next destination. They have left Eric behind. They have ditched him.

In contrast, to dodge Eric would be to see him walking in the mall and to move where he could not see you, to thus avoid contact with him altogether.

Thanks a lot! :)

She's been dodging me since she ditched me. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back