trying to make a sentence with thereafter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I am presently working temporarily at ABC company and my last day is next Friday, thereafter I can come in and meet with you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I am presently working temporarily at ABC company and my last day is next Friday, thereafter I can come in and meet with you.
The meaning is clear, but we wouldn't use "thereafter" like that.

old gobbo

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
France
The OED says "now somewhat formal", but I think that the slighlly elaborate form of this sentence about working at the ABC justifies the use of hereafter. Sorry - "thereafter"

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, but you have a comma splice, so it sounds wrong.
It would be far more common to use the following word order:
"I am presently working temporarily at ABC company and my last day is next Friday. I can come in and meet with you thereafter."
But if you want to use 'thereafter', you wouldn't use casual language like "come in" or "my last day." You'd need to make the whole sentence rather formal.
"My current temporary work at ABC terminates on Friday, 12th November. Thereafter, I am free to meet with you." - This sounds a bit stuffy, but it's just to give you an idea. You'd probably want to consider using "after that" instead of "thereafter" in your original sentence.

PS: You can use fancy words like this deliberately in non-serious writing for humourous effect.
"... Fido emerged from his cat fight with more scratches than he had bargained for, and was thereafter less enthusiastic about tormenting the neighbourhood cats."

Last edited:

thomas615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Thank you Teacher Raymond for your explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.