Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Australia
Of course...now that you mention it, just last week a workmate ( a fellow motorcycle mechanic ) said to me " any idiot realises that a properly-formed non-defining relative clause just CAN'T be colloquial !! ".......I'm autistic and have a year 10 high-school education. I've taught myself to read & write basic Japanese sentences and am commencing a diploma certification course in 2 weeks time. I did mention my inexperience in these areas and am finding your attitude quite condescending for a teacher. I will no doubt incur the wrath of the egos that I've offended here ( how sad )

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I did mention my inexperience in these areas and am finding your attitude quite condescending for a teacher.
This discussion started when you stated in your first post, " Martha has a son, who lives in Russia " is obviously an example of colloquial speech ( using imperfect grammar ) that requires face-to-face communication, knowledge of context, speech tone and body language in order to be comprehended." As most teachers and writers on language do not believe this to be the case, Barb, quite reasonably asked, "Why do you think this is imperfect grammar? What makes it colloquial?", a question you still have not addressed.

I then tried to summarise the situation as I see it. I cannot help it if you choose to find this condescending. Perhaps if you tried to answer Barb's question, we might be able to resolve some of the issues.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Enough. I wasn't trying to attack anyone or back anyone into a corner. I was genuinely curious about what you saw that I didn't see. Or what you didn't see that I did. Whatever. The original question was answered back in November. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.