Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
I want a little guidance regarding the proper use of 'it' and 'that'. Can we use them interchangeably or there is some rule for their use.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I want a little guidance regarding the proper use of 'it' and 'that'. Can we use them interchangeably or there is some rule for their use.

That is a far too wide-ranging question to be answered in a thread. Why don't you give us some example sentences where you would use "it" or "that", and some where you cannot decide which one is more appropriate and we will see if we can help you?

I can give you one example for "it" to start you off.

"It is raining" not "That is raining".

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Thank you for the reply sir. Sir 5jj asked me to be specific with my questions but I forgot that and made the same mistake here. I'll be careful next time, and not pose such general questions but be more specific.

Anyway, here are a few example sentences, where I find myself in trouble, as I don't know what to use , "it" or "that".

1- Yesterday, we watched a movie called 'Life is beautiful', have you watched that/it?
2- She bought a new car. Did you see that/it. How is that/it?
3- While chatting with a friend on the internet, what am I supposed to say when he shows me his anything(gift, watch etc), It's beautiful, or that's beautiful?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you for the reply sir.

Don't assume that all people on this forum who answer your questions are male.

Emsr2d2 is a highly respected female teacher.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the reply sir. Sir 5jj asked me to be specific with my questions but I forgot that and made the same mistake here. I'll be careful next time, and not pose such general questions but be more specific.

Anyway, here are a few example sentences, where I find myself in trouble, as I don't know what to use , "it" or "that".

1- Yesterday, we watched a movie called 'Life is beautiful', have you watched that/it?
2- She bought a new car. Did you see that/it. How is that/it?
3- While chatting with a friend on the internet, what am I supposed to say when he shows me his anything(gift, watch etc), It's beautiful, or that's beautiful?

Regardless of gender, we generally don't address eachother by anything but our usernames on the forum, so "Sir" is unnecessary even to the men!

Anyway, back to your question -

1) Yesterday, we watched "Life is Beautiful". Have you seen it?
Yesterday, we watched "Life is Beautiful". Have you seen that film?

2) She bought a new car. Did you notice?
She bought a new car. Have you seen it?

3) When being shown something, either "That's beautiful" or "It's beautiful" would be appropriate.

I have tried to come up with some kind of rule that you can follow, but to be honest a lot of it is a matter of just learning which sounds more natural. Sometimes, only one is appropriate (like the "It is raining" example I gave earlier).

In many cases, "that" is followed by a noun, whereas "it" can replace "that + noun". However, please don't take this as an absolute rule.

Here's an example of mixed uses:

- Can you see that strange thing over there?
- Yes.
- What is it?
- I don't know.

- (Pointing at a dark shape on the other side of the room) What is that?
- I have no idea what that is.
- I don't know what it is either, but it's a very strange shape.

Once an object has already been indicated in a sentence, it's frequently possible to refer to it as either "that" or "it" later on.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Regardless of gender, we generally don't address eachother by anything but our usernames on the forum, so "Sir" is unnecessary even to the men!

Once an object has already been indicated in a sentence, it's frequently possible to refer to it as either "that" or "it" later on.

Would be obligied if you could give me some examples.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I"m puzzled how you can ask for some examples after seeing the post you partially quoted. It was full of examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.