Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"The -ing form of a verb following require always has a passive meaning." is from a dictionary..But how do you think of the one : Most tests require collecting cells . Does collecting has a passive meaning here?
Thanks! 

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes- most tests require cells to be collected (by swabbing...)

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes- most tests require cells to be collected (by swabbing...)
1. In my humble eyes: "The -ing form of a verb following require always has a passive meaning." means that the subject of the sentence is the acceptor of -ing ,not the object of -ing, for example, the man requires helping.= the man requires to be helped.
Am I right?
2.If the above is right, the sentence that the crops require absorbing water is wrong.
Thanks!

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
: Most tests require collecting cells .
Does collecting has a passive meaning here?
Thanks! [/QUOTE]

Like need, require is one of those verbs which may hold an objective structure: i.e.

Subj+require+object+to+infinitive

I think it is a passive in that

Most tests require cells to be collected.

The only thing here is that the agent is implied by the contests (who is meant to collect these cells? Students, biologists or just anybody???)

Most tests + require+ (people/students/biologists)+to collect cells

Therefore, in this case the object becomes the "holder"of a passive structure,

Mosts tests+require+cells+to be collected (by people/students/biologists)

which may also be rendered by adding +ing straight after require and before the object.

If you google up "Most tests require cells to be collected" you'll come across other similar sentences e.g.

Most jurisdictions require samples to be collected...

which we can change into

Most jurisdictions require collecting samples...

Hope it works for you.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
: Most tests require collecting cells .
Does collecting has a passive meaning here?
Thanks! 

Like need, require is one of those verbs which may hold an objective structure: i.e.

The only thing here is that the agent is implied by the contests (who is meant to collect these cells? Students, biologists or just anybody???)

which may also be rendered by adding +ing straight after require and before the object.

If you google up "Most tests require cells to be collected" you'll come across other similar sentences e.g.

which we can change into

Hope it works for you.[/QUOTE]
According to you," I require beating the dog," is right too. Is it right?
thanks!

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy

which we can change into

Hope it works for you.
thanks![/QUOTE]

If anything
The dog requires beating/ The dog requires to be beaten (by who??)

That's what I meant...
Some masters require their dogs to be beaten (by their trainers) while training. (passive and objective construct)
Some masters require beating their dogs while training (passive only the agent is implied by context)

different to:

Some masters require dog trainers to beat their dogs while training (active and objective construct)

Hope it's clearer

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"The -ing form of a verb following require always has a passive meaning." is from a dictionary..But how do you think of the one : Most tests require collecting cells . Does collecting has a passive meaning here?
Thanks! 
I'm not convinced that you have a sentence in the passive voice if that's what you mean.
"Collecting" is a gerund.
"Most tests (subject) require (verb) collecting cells. (Direct object)" - Active voice sentence.
"Collecting cells is required by most tests." - Passive voice equivalent.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thanks!

If anything
The dog requires beating/ The dog requires to be beaten (by who??)

That's what I meant...
Some masters require their dogs to be beaten (by their trainers) while training. (passive and objective construct)
Some masters require beating their dogs while training (passive only the agent is implied by context)

different to:

Some masters require dog trainers to beat their dogs while training (active and objective construct)

Hope it's clearer[/QUOTE]
I am sorry but I don't think "Some masters require beating their dogs while training (passive only the agent is implied by context)" is correct,after all.
Thanks for your concern!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm not convinced that you have a sentence in the passive voice if that's what you mean.
"Collecting" is a gerund.
"Most tests (subject) require (verb) collecting cells. (Direct object)" - Active voice sentence.
"Collecting cells is required by most tests." - Passive voice equivalent.

I enjoy your good answer to my probolem very much! Thanks to 5jj,too.
Sorry that you haven't directly pointed "Most tests require collecting cells " is wrong.
I am ashamed the sentence should appear in the Chinese graduate student for master examination topic 2009.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sorry that you haven't directly pointed "Most tests require collecting cells " is wrong.
I am ashamed the sentence should appear in the Chinese graduate student for master examination topic 2009.

It isn't wrong for me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It isn't wrong for me.
Exactly; it's not wrong. But it's not in the passive voice, as was claimed - unless someone wants to argue that it is.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It seems to me that there is a fundamental difference between 'the dog needs beating’, and ‘training a dog requires beating it’.

I have just looked through a couple of hundred of the 900+ examples of [require] + verb+ing in COCA, and I could not see one that resembles ‘the dog requires beating’. They appear to be mainly of this type: “But any threat assessment requires making tough tradeoffs”.

One could argue that, as this last sentence could be paraphrased as “But any assessment requires tough trade-offs to be made”, it has a ‘passive meaning’. Equally, however, one could argue that, as it could be paraphrased as “But any assessment requires someone to make rough trade-offs, it has an ‘active meaning’. If we start explaining the meaning of one utterance by the structure of a paraphrase of it, we could claim that “John killed Peter” had a ‘passive meaning’ because it can be paraphrased as “Peter was killed by John”.

"Most tests require collecting cells" is not wrong but, as Raymott said, it is not passive voice. I would argue that there is no justification in claiming that it has 'passive meaning'.

I also feel that 'the dog requires beating' is not natural English.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It seems to me that there is a fundamental difference between 'the dog needs beating’, and ‘training a dog requires beating it’.

I have just looked through a couple of hundred of the 900+ examples of [require] + verb+ing in COCA, and I could not see one that resembles ‘the dog requires beating’. They appear to be mainly of this type: “But any threat assessment requires making tough tradeoffs”.

One could argue that, as this last sentence could be paraphrased as “But any assessment requires tough trade-offs to be made”, it has a ‘passive meaning’. Equally, however, one could argue that, as it could be paraphrased as “But any assessment requires someone to make rough trade-offs, it has an ‘active meaning’. If we start explaining the meaning of one utterance by the structure of a paraphrase of it, we could claim that “John killed Peter” had a ‘passive meaning’ because it can be paraphrased as “Peter was killed by John”.

"Most tests require collecting cells" is not wrong but, as Raymott said, it is not passive voice. I would argue that there is no justification in claiming that it has 'passive meaning'.

I also feel that 'the dog requires beating' is not natural English.

The study of langwages is not playng magic. The strongest weapon is examples by famous wtiters.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The study of langwages is not playng magic. The strongest weapon is examples by famous wtiters.

I think your keyboard is having some issues today. ;-)

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think your keyboard is having some issues today. ;-)
Thanks for your concerns! I sincerely accept your criticism! I am sorry for my carelessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.