[General] DST sends standard time into hibernation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookbug

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I'm listening to the AP news minute of March 09, 2012 (sorry I cannot post the link since I'm new here). The last piece of news sounds like"... Get the clock ready to spring forward by one hour this weekend. At 2am local time on Sunday, daylight saving time sends standard time into hibernation untill the fall..."

I probably haven't caught the right words; this sentence looks strange to me. Any help with guessing the original sentence? Thanks!!

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

A hibernation is a metabolic state that some animals go into over the winter. It's similar to sleep, except that the body's metabolic rate and core temperature drop to conserve energy. The author is using a bit of wordplay saying that standard time is "going into hibernation" for the winter.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

A hibernation is a metabolic state that some animals go into over the winter. It's similar to sleep, except that the body's metabolic rate and core temperature drop to conserve energy. The author is using a bit of wordplay saying that standard time is "going into hibernation" for the winter.

Actually, it's going away for the summer, which makes "hibernation" an odd word for it. But we don't have a word for sleeping all summer.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Gosh, instead of DST I read STD. I guess I need to get my eyes checked.

Last edited:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, it's going away for the summer, which makes "hibernation" an odd word for it. But we don't have a word for sleeping all summer.

Oops, you're right, SoothingDave.

Status
Not open for further replies.