Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's a tall table usually a thin one up to a teacher's waist or chest. They stand behind it to make theirs speach or conference.
I think a similar word is something like 'triboon' or ...
Thanks,

Do you mean a lectern?

It's a lectern in BrE too.

Yes, thanks,

There is a meeting in which every person could say their own opinion on the subject (like freedom, policy, nudism, war, and usually controversial subjects.)
Because there is usually a lectern, behind it you can speak, in Persian we call this meeting A FREE LECTERN.
I wanted to ask you if this combined expression is usual in English too?
Thanks,
ata

I've never heard of such a thing. Is there some reason why everyone would come together to discuss such varied subjects?

If there is a meeting of some sort, like a city council or school board meeting, they may have a time for "public comments," but that would be related to the subjects on the agenda.

... in Persian we call this meeting A FREE LECTERN.

The closest thing I can think of in English is an "open mic" (pronounced "mike", short for microphone). This is often in the context of a club, for example a comedy club, where anyone can get up and perform, try out their act. But I have seen it used in a situation similar to the one you describe, where anybody can go to the microphone and give their opinion on the subject of the meeting.

not a teacher

JMurray,

Yes, thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back