Would you mind helping me to check out these three sentences? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyuting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Two years ago, I moved to Guangzhou city in the hope of finding a good job while my intimate friend, Michael, who chose to stay in the hometown. But we still keep in touch with each other. Last week, I commented on his message on Facebook because he was planning to hold an annual reunion of all friends on the national holiday.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

My respectful suggestions:

(1) Just refer to Guangzhou. It sounds strange in English to say, for example, I visited "London city."

(2) I think that it would be a good idea to avoid the term "intimate friend." That could have many meanings. Do you wish to say that

Michael is your No. 1 friend? Then it might be helpful to say:

... while my best friend, Michael, chose to stay in our hometown. (No "who," please)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Two years ago, I moved to Guangzhou city in the hope of finding a good job while my [STRIKE]intimate[/STRIKE] close friend, Michael, [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] chose to stay in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] our hometown. [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] We still keep in touch with each other. Last week, I commented on his message on Facebook because he was planning to hold an annual reunion of all his friends on the national holiday.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.