Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Pissed' and 'bastard' are common usage in AmE and do not require the *.
They may be commonly used, but many people still find them offensive. In the past 'bastard' was a legal term for a child born out of wedlock, and was acceptable. It is rarely used today in this neutral (i.e. not pejorative) sense.

Last edited:

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Am I the only person surprised at the amount of swearing that has gone on through this thread without a single suggestion of asterisk usage?

I am p*ssed. You are a b*stard.

Sorry, I didn't realize it. It's just an interesting translation practice. In Chinese, one word can be used for different occasions, and sometimes those words are not conveying exactly the literal meaning. And the Chinese equavelant is not that indecent at all.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't understand the point of your reference, 5jj. What are you saying?
ems mentioned "the amount of swearing that has gone on through this thread without a single suggestion of asterisk usage". I linked to the post in which I had used an asterisk, that's all.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
ems mentioned "the amount of swearing that has gone on through this thread without a single suggestion of asterisk usage". I linked to the post in which I had used an asterisk, that's all.
Thanks, 5jj! I was confused because the link brought us back to the original thread!

I don't think 'bastard' and 'pissed' are considered 'swearing' in AmE. Certainly, they are not words to be spoken in polite circles but when used in conversations about cheating spouses they would be tolerated and deemed appropriate for the circumstances of the situation!

Cheers,
A4

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I was confused because the link brought us back to the original thread!
I was being over-clever. I should have just said, "See post #3"

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was being over-clever. I should have just said, "See post #3"
I thoroughly enjoy you when you are being 'over-clever'! I can see why you are paid the big bucks for being a 'MODERATOR". :cool:
;-)

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They may be commonly used, but many people still find them offensive.

Sorry, not in AmE. These are common words. Children might say them and not get a second look.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Am I the only person surprised at the amount of swearing that has gone on through this thread without a single suggestion of asterisk usage?

I have not noticed any swearing. People are talking about words. Talking about swear words and swearing are different things. I can see why censoring a post's title might be needed, but not the contents of a thoughtful thread.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is a clear BrE vs AmE difference here though. In the UK at least, if a child said either "p*ssed", "p*ssed off" or "b*stard", they would, in the majority of cases, be in for a good telling off from their parents and be told not to say it again. They would certainly get you thrown out of a classroom.
I agree that talking about swear words is different from actually swearing, but in the past I had always noticed that any word with a potentially offensive feel or connotation was asterisked. I seem to recall a long thread about the word "f*ck" and, even though we were simply discussing the word, not using it as part of a post, it was consistently asterisked.

If neither of the two words I quoted are considered to be swearing in AmE, that explains why nothing was made of it, yet 5jj did indeed put an asterisk in "b*tch".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, not in AmE. These are common words. Children might say them and not get a second look.

I COMPLETELY disagree with this! My children would have been in a lot of trouble for saying them when they were younger, along with the female counterpart that also starts with a B.

They are rude words, and I apologize for my use in this thread without the appropriate asterisks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I COMPLETELY disagree with this! My children would have been in a lot of trouble for saying them when they were younger, along with the female counterpart that also starts with a B.

They are rude words, and I apologize for my use in this thread without the appropriate asterisks.

I agree. These are not for children or polite company.

You will hear b*stard on TV outside the family hour, and even "p*ssed" when meaning "p'd off."

There are even a few TV shows now that allude to "b*tch" in their titles. But they allude to it, not use it outright. One is called "Don't Trust the B--- in Apt 23."

Status
Not open for further replies.