diviant

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a serious pet peeve of mine. My kids look at me whenever anyone says it to see if I've flinched. I once refused to help someone write an article because they insisted on using "a very unique opportunity." I tried three times to get them to use another expression and finally told them to get someone else to write it.

It's sadly common, but wrong.

What about "more perfect?"

Or general consensus.

"Very unique" on its face makes no sense, but I suspect people mean "unique among this set/situation".

What about this?

He is very American/English.

He is very American/English.
That's another question. Please start a new thread for that, or this one will become very confused.

It's just, as Dave presented his question about 'more perfect', I've tried another one.

Well, but my last question isn't totally unrelated to the original question here.

I just wondered what native speakers would say about this below, if they thought that 'He is very American/British' worked.

He is very American/British and very unique.

There's no trick; 'American/British' is a metaphor here, meaning 'not only American/British in the literal sense, but also with many of the characteristics of the stereotype'. In the phrase 'very American/British' the very applies to the metaphorical sense and not to the boolean (yes|no) literal one. 'Unique' is, in my book, boolean.

b

It's just, as Dave presented his question about 'more perfect', I've tried another one.

Except, Dave isn't really asking, as he (probably) already knows the answer.

There's no trick; 'American/British' is a metaphor here

H'm...the metaphorical sense of 'American/British' is widely accepted, but the metaphorical usage of 'unique' is not quite so. Such an enigma.

Dave isn't really asking, as he (probably) already knows the answer.

Me neither, and I knew the answer as well.;-)

Except, Dave isn't really asking, as he (probably) already knows the answer.

That's right. It's perfectly fine. In fact it's more perfectly fine.

Unless you hate the Constitution. ;-)

That's right. It's perfectly fine. In fact it's more perfectly fine.

Unless you hate the Constitution. ;-)

We don't have a constitution.;-)

Allow me to pick up this old thread.

How does 'He is really unique' sound? Does 'really unique' sound as awkward as 'very unique'?

No it doesn't. 'Really' allows for the 'proper' meaning of 'unique' - which isn't gradable. It is saying 'This thing is unique, and I really mean it - it has features not shared by anything else'.

b

This reminds me of a common mistake made in Dutch. Some people want to emphasise that something can be "truly only" and thus they say "onliest" (= enigste). However, this in correct. "Only" is not gradable. I've never seen "onliest" in English, but apparently, a not so reliable source of the English language does have an entry fot this word:

intensive form of "only". used to indicate that someone or something that is truly the "only", or "only" in a special way.

Jesus is the onliest one who can save you.

Urban Dictionary: onliest

Yes, I've met it - but in a joking - self-aware - context ('I know it's not a proper word, but I'm using it anyway and you know what I mean').

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back