Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,
Quote"I cannot answer your question, but I am bumping it in case else can"
In this sentence, is it correct to replace the "in case... can" to " so that ... may do".
In my opinion, the clause after "in case" is something you are not sure whereas the clause after "so that" is something you have much confidence.
Thanks for any comments.:)

BR
Mark

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion, the clause after "in case" is something you are not sure whereas the clause after "so that" is something you have much confidence.
Thanks for any comments.:)

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I believe that you are 100% correct:

I cannot answer your question, but I am bumping it in case someone else can. = There is a good possibility that of all the great

teachers at this helpline, at least one may know the answer.

I cannot answer your question, but I am bumping it so that someone else can. = I have no doubt that someone else can and will.

Take your umbrella in case it rains. = Rain is NOT predicted, but the sky is dark, so one never knows. Don't take any chances!

Take your umbrella so that you will have it when it starts to rain. = The newspaper says that it will rain later today.

If you do NOT have too much confidence, you can add "just":

I am bumping your question just in case someone else can answer it. = I am the smartest question answerer here. If I cannot

answer your question, I doubt that anyone else can. But miracles do occasionally occur. There is always a very, very small possibility

that someone else can answer a question that I can't.

Mark_000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your elaboration and confirmation.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.