Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I usually meet people from UK and USA. I really feel difficulty to understand their accents. I wish to improve my accent please tell me the way to practice British and American accents.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Make a start by reading the Similar Threads below.

Rover

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I usually meet people from UK and USA. I really feel difficulty to understand their accents. I wish to improve my accent please tell me the way to practice British and American accents.

If you're going to try to acquire an accent, I think it would be better to go for either American or British- trying to acquire both and switch between them could be very difficult. How much listening do you do? Listening to a wide variety of accents will help you cope when you meet native speakers. And don't be embarrassed to ask them to repeat things or talk more slowly- remember that you're doing to hard work in trying to understand them.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Innocent Lady:

I agree that you should decide on one accent.

Then please remember that accents vary in a nation. If you choose to speak "American," then you will want to

choose which variety of "American." For example, here in California we pronounce "car" as "car." But I hear that

in New York, they do not pronounce the "r" in "car." I am sure that you have heard the difference between the

way people speak in the southern part of the United States and the way they speak in the middle of the country.

Of course, I know nothing about British accents, but I hear that one's accent in the United Kingdom can have an

important role in the success or failure of one's career. So if you decide on a British accent, be sure to seek good

advice so that you choose a "good" accent to adopt and emulate. (Maybe it is changing today, but I have read that

in the United Kingdom, people know what social class you belong to as soon as you start speaking.)

Best of luck on your decision.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Innocent Lady:

I agree that you should decide on one accent.

Then please remember that accents vary in a nation. If you choose to speak "American," then you will want to

choose which variety of "American." For example, here in California we pronounce "car" as "car." But I hear that

in New York, they do not pronounce the "r" in "car."
I am sure that you have heard the difference between the

way people speak in the southern part of the United States and the way they speak in the middle of the country.

Of course, I know nothing about British accents, but I hear that one's accent in the United Kingdom can have an

important role in the success or failure of one's career. So if you decide on a British accent, be sure to seek good

advice so that you choose a "good" accent to adopt and emulate. (Maybe it is changing today, but I have read that

in the United Kingdom, people know what social class you belong to as soon as you start speaking.)

Best of luck on your decision.

I see!
He doesn't pronounce 'r' in the song...

"I've seen all the movie stars in their fancy cars and their limousines..."
                        'New York State Of Mind'
written and sung by Billy Joel

Thank you for the information!:-D

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Boston they pronounce "Rs" even less.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see!
He doesn't pronounce 'r' in the song...
"I've seen all the movie stars in their fancy cars and their limousines..."
                        'New York State Of Mind'
written and sung by Billy Joel
Be VERY cautious when using songs as a pronunciation or grammar guide! Singers and songwriters of pop music will often do very strange things with the language to achieve a rhyme or rhythm, or to appeal to teenagers - I've heard some really terrible stuff...! :roll:
Billy Joel is one of the best, however. :-D :up:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

As I have responded many times to questions such as yours, concentrate on pronunciation rather than accent. And as for an American accent, would you like the New York, South Philadelphia, New England, Southern or Lake Region accent (or possibly several others)? Check out www.manythings.com to practice pronunciation.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
. . . please tell me the way to practice British and American accents.

As long as your English pronunciation is understandable, I advise you to stick to the accent which comes naturally to you.

A foreign accent is often an attractive feature in a person, and trying to imitate someone else's can make you a figure of fun.

Even professional actors, trained by voice coaches, often sound ridiculous when speaking outside their comfort zone.

Rover

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As long as your English pronunciation is understandable, I advise you to stick to the accent which comes naturally to you.

Rover

I always think that why people concentrate more on accent instead of making their own accent understandable to others.Many things contribute to accent, most important one is the influence of their mother tongue on the learning language(in this case English).I have seen many people who try to speak like a native speaker but don't know how to articulate what they think.So, IMO, I feel that people should concentrate more on how to use the language in an effective way rather than trying to speak like a native speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.