Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Italy
I have to complete the verbs in this letter and it goes like this:
Dear Sue, thank you for your letter which I got last week. It was really good to hear from you. You said you had seen(I have to use "Saw") Angela a few weeks back, but you didn't say how she was/had been ("Be").

Then is it better to say:
It's a bit untidy at the moment because it is decorating, but it'll be fine.
It's a bit untidy at the moment because it has been decorating, but it'll be fine.

Thank you very much in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have to complete the verbs in this letter and it goes like this:
Dear Sue, thank you for your letter which I got last week. It was really good to hear from you. You said you had seen(I have to use "Saw") (had seen is fine) Angela a few weeks back, but you didn't say how she was/had been ("Be") ("how she was" fits here).

Then is it better to say:

It's a bit untidy at the moment because it is decorating, but it'll be fine.
It's a bit untidy at the moment because it is being decorated, but it will be fine.

It's a bit untidy at the moment because it has been decorating, but it'll be fine.
It's a bit untidy at the moment because it has [recently] been decorating, but it will be fine.

Thank you very much in advance.

I think the problem with your example is that you have misunderstood the use of "decorating". "To decorate" is something a person does to a room or a house etc. The room or house is "decorated" or is "being decorated" etc.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with ems.

In answer to the original question in your title, (non-) speech introduced by 'X didn't say (that)' is reported (non-) speech.

HomerBong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Italy
Oh I'm such a fool, I didn't notice that, however is it better to use passive present continuous or present perfect continuous. In this case, I think the second sounds better but I might be wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.