Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If you have a chronic disease like having a stuffy nose caused by allergies, do you say "I have rhinitis" or "I have sinus infection"?
"Rhinitis" seems quite a medical term, and I heard from Americans that they usually say "sinus infection" even for "rhinitis". "Sinus infection" is a more serious disease than "rhinitis", but they seem to use only one.
What do you think?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If you have a chronic disease like having a stuffy nose caused by allergies, do you say "I have rhinitis" or "I have sinus infection"?
"Rhinitis" seems quite a medical term, and I heard from Americans that they usually say "sinus infection" even for "rhinitis". "Sinus infection" is a more serious disease than "rhinitis", but they seem to use only one.
What do you think?

I'd say "I have a blocked/stuffy nose".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you have actually been diagnosed with rhinitis by a doctor, I don't see why you shouldn't say "I have/I suffer from rhinitis". Most people would probably use "I have a sinus infection" if it's actually an infection but that is a specific condition.

If you simply have a blocked/stuffy nose caused by hayfever or some other allergen, then I agree with bhaisahab and would just say:

- I have a blocked nose.
- I have a blocked up nose.
- I have a stuffy nose.
- My nose is blocked.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use infection for a chronic condition- I would be more likely to say I have sinus problems or the name of the condition.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can even say "I have allergies" as a way of explaining the stuffed up nose. Or "I have hay fever" if it is seasonal.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm not just talking about a stuffy nose, but the difference in the usage of "sinus infection" and "rhinitis". You make me think they distinguish the two, while I was told by some Americans that they replace "rhinitis" with "sinus infection".
"Rhinitis" is a very common disease caused by allergies, and probably 50% or more people suffer from it, while "sinus infection" is a more serious disease that needs a surgery to completely cure. I got a "sinus infection" surgery before.
My question is if the two are not distinguished.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not just talking about a stuffy nose, but the difference in the usage of "sinus infection" and "rhinitis". You make me think they distinguish the two, while I was told by some Americans that they replace "rhinitis" with "sinus infection".
"Rhinitis" is a very common disease caused by allergies, and probably 50% or more people suffer from it, while "sinus infection" is a more serious disease that needs a surgery to completely cure. I got a "sinus infection" surgery before.

From Wikipedia: "
Rhinitis is a nonspecific term that covers infections,
allergies​
, and other disorders whose common feature is the location of their symptoms. In rhinitis, the mucous membranes become infected or irritated, producing a discharge, congestion, and swelling of the tissues. The most widespread form of infectious rhinitis is the
common cold​
."

As you can see, rhinitis might or might not involve an infection. As far as I'm concerned, that doesn't make them interchangeable.

A chronic disease is something that you have all the time, long-term. I'm not sure if I would describe hayfever as a chronic condition because, for most people, it lasts a month or so once a year.

Surgery won't cure an infection. Infections are cured (or at least they're treated) with antibiotics.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I can only say that I have never heard anyone tell me that they have "rhinitis."

Status
Not open for further replies.