Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it okay to say " If I did something wrong yesterday, I am sorry" But I feel like there is something wrong in the sentence. Could you tell me if it is right or wrong? Thank you as usual and have a good day.

Grammatically, it's okay.
As an apology, it's iffy. You really have no idea if you did something wrong at all?

You know, sometimes we make mistakes without even realizing what mistakes and some timid people care what they did and said although the others do not care about it. Thank you:):):)

" If I did something wrong yesterday" has two connotations. One is accepting a fact(factual conditional) and the other is a presumption(predicitive conditional)
1. factual conditional - I know and maybe someone else knows that I did something wrong yesterday, and I admit that I did it.(For example, I didn't get back to my girlfriend's call yesterday, which made her angry, and both of us know it's wrong)
2. predictive conditional - I was drunken yesterday, and said something offensive to my girlfriend, but I can't remember it. So today when I meet her, I just presume I might have done something wrong to her yesterday.

Actually, my point was to the first thing one. If you KNOW you did something wrong, then "If I did something wrong" does not admit it. It's very different from "I'm sorry for what I did."

Your second point "I ... said something offensive" is the same as your first - I know I was offensive.

That's different from "I was drunk. When I'm drunk, sometimes I'm a little stupid about what I say. I don't remember saying anything offensive, but if I did, I'm sorry." That seems to be what the OP seems to be saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back