Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello. This is a question about word order.

We say, "She has been to Italy a number of times."
Can we also say, "She has been a number of times to Italy." ??

Thank you in advance.

In my opinion, if you say that, it will quickly mark you out as a non-native speaker. It is understandable so we would know what you mean, but it's not natural. It's not grammatically incorrect but it is a rarely used construction.

Thank you very much!

would 'many times' , 'several times' fix it?

So if I want to say that I've been to some place many times, how am I supposed to say it? since the example [she has

been to Italy many times] isnt' natural, then I suppose that saying I've been there many times isn't natural as well.

So if I want to say that I've been to some place many times, how am I supposed to say it? since the example [she has

been to Italy many times] isnt' natural, then I suppose that saying I've been there many times isn't natural as well.

NOT A TEACHER

I don't see anything unnatural about "I've been there many/several times".
However, the sentence "She has been a number of times to Italy." is unnatural as emsr stated in #2.

No-one said that putting "a number of times", "many times" etc at the end of the sentence was unnatural. The very first sentence you quoted "She has been to Italy a number of times" is absolutely fine.

She has been to Italy a number of times.
I have been on holiday many times.
They have visited Greece several times.

The word order that I said was unnatural was when you put "many/several/a number of + times" in the middle of the sentence, before the destination.

since the example [she has been to Italy many times] isnt' natural, then I suppose that saying I've been there many times isn't natural as well.
bhai did not say that 'She has been to italy many times' was unnatural.

Oh, I see it. Sorry. I guess I misread it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back