Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could anyone please tell me what this phrasal verb means in this sentence?

Oh,good idea!I could rent out your surgery for you!

This is a piece of conversation of a series.

many thanks.

It means the same as to rent - to allow someone else to use the facility in exchange for money.

:-? Really? In Br English, 'rent out' means the same as 'let' - it's what the landlord does. The person who pays the landlord in return for temporary occupancy 'rents' it: 'I'm renting a room until I find a house that I want to buy. Meanwhile, I'm renting out my house back in Edinburgh.'

b

:-? Really? In Br English, 'rent out' means the same as 'let' - it's what the landlord does. The person who pays the landlord in return for temporary occupancy 'rents' it: 'I'm renting a room until I find a house that I want to buy. Meanwhile, I'm renting out my house back in Edinburgh.'

b

Yes, good point. It is the owner/landlord who rents it out, the tenant rents it.

But it's different with rental cars. You can say 'I'm renting a car while I'm in France'. It would be easier on students if this example was thought of as 'wrong', and you 'should' say instead something like 'I'm hiring a car...'. But life's not that easy, and both are right. ;-)

b

English verbs are usually polyvalent. Aren't there "Rent-a-car" outlets in the UK? I think these are clearly sold from the customer's viewpoint:
[Edit: Google ... yes, there are.]

I'd like to add that rent out (as opposed to rent) implies a habitual practice, to me.

b

you can 'rent' AND 'hire' a car...
but you can only 'rent' an apartment!
you can also 'hire' people... to do a job, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back