English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everyone,

Can you please tell me how to start a sentence with a date? I mean, should I start like this: The 26th May, 1986 was the day I was born., or without the 'The' at the beginning? I know that when out speaking a date, you have to say The 26th of May, 1986, and when writting you have to drop the 'the' and 'of', but should you write the 'the' when you start a sentence with a date?

And by the way what do you think about this sentence The 26th May, 1986 was the day I was born.? Is it correct or should it b like this The 26th May, 1986 is the day I was born.?

Thanks in advance.

Kamil

Don't use "The". You can just start with "26th May" or "May 26th". However, it is much more natural to say "I was born on May 26th, 1986."

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I have to say that I'm quite surprised by your answer, because I always thought that one should never start a sentence with a numeral.

I also thought that it would be better to say I was born on... but is it also possible to say The 26th May, 1986 was the day I was born.? I'm just curious you know, and also I want to know whether to use was or is in that sentence.

And since we're discussing dates I would have two more questions, first is about months' abbreviations, mainly speaking I would like to know if I should put a full stop after the month's abbreviation in a sentence? I know they don't put a full stop in American English but what about British English?

The second question in also about dates but when I want to say that something will take place for a longer period of time, for example 1-3 June, 2012.How should I say it? From the first to the third of June, two thousand and twelve?

If you commit to writing "the," then you need to also write "of." "The 26th of May, 1986 was..." Yes, use "was." It's in the past.

Yes, you could say "from the first to the third of June." In AmE, we might say "June first to third" or "June first to June third."

Most have taken to saying the year as "twenty twelve."

Thank you Dave. And what about the months' abbreviations? Cou
ld you elaborate on that?

I'm American, so I can't comment on the BrE use. As you said, in AmE after a month like "Jun" or "Aug" we don't use a period.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I have to say that I'm quite surprised by your answer, because I always thought that one should never start a sentence with a numeral.

I agree that it's considered bad style to start a sentence with a numeral, but there is nothing that prohibits it grammatically. This often presents a challenge for people who care about these things. In the US, the month comes first, so that particular issue is not a problem: May 23, 1966, was the day I was born. (We're both Geminis. How lovely.)

However, that means that if you want to start with a year, it's often considered bad style to write something like "1966 was a good year to be born." I don't know that I agree that it's bad style, but some people will criticize it. So you write something like "The year 1966 was a good one to be born in." Or whatever - just start with a word instead of a numeral.

I would suggest that if you use the "th" or "nd" then you should not abbreviate the month. 26th November or 26 Nov but not 26th Nov. It's purely style, and nothing is wrong with it grammatically.

I agree that it's considered bad style to start a sentence with a numeral, ...
That must be an American thing - though Abe got away with it in the Gettysburg Address.

Not only a numeral, but a math problem!

Thank you guys for a
ll your replies
:)

You never see it written as "4 score" though. It's always "Four score.". Starting with a NUMBER is okay as long as it's a word. It's the NUMERAL that's the issue.

And note I did say "for people who care about those things." I'm often not in that group.

You never see it written as "4 score" though. It's always "Four score.". Starting with a NUMBER is okay as long as it's a word. It's the NUMERAL that's the issue.
oops. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back