Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

Hope I can find the right expression here. Imagine you're discussing something important you don't want kids to hear or notice, so you would ask someone to take them away and play and talk to them so that they wouldn't notice you, being distracted perhaps. Is there an expression commonly used in such situations? (Either in general, or the direct expression we'd say to the person we want to do the job for us.)

Many thanks in advance.

I suppose we could use 'entertain' in this case. But, I was wondering if there's anything specifically used in such situations. Cheers!

"to keep them occupied"?! Isn't this formal?

Thanks dear Tdol.
Verbs such as 'look after' and 'watch' could be used in other situations as well. Then should I conclude there is no specific verb suggesting both 'looking after' and 'distracting'?

Best

Verbs such as 'look after' and 'watch' could be used in other situations as well. Then should I conclude there is no specific verb suggesting both 'looking after' and 'distracting'?
I can't think of one - though that doesn't mean there isn't one. 'Amuse' comes close.

Last edited:
I can't think of on - though that doesn't mean there isn't one. 'Amuse' comes close.

Not to mention tw :lol:! (Just kidding, of course, so don't take it to heart)

Thanks to you all, now I've got my answer. The reason why sometimes I keep repeating my question is I have this freak hunch that, 'hey there's got to be a phrasal verb or something there meaning what I'm looking for! I'm sure there is...because we have it in OUR language!...'. :-D Which is the thing you're all well aware of, and we should be thankful that you're so patient with our boring questions! So, many thanks! :)

And here's the link the friend who'd asked me about this expression has just sent to me:

PhraseMix | keep (someone) occupied

Is it an American expression, and commonly used in everyday speech?
Ta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back