Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can I use the phrase "jump the/a red light" for when I walk across a street at a signalized crosswalk when the light is red? If so, do I need to use the definite or the indefinite article? Are there any alternatives to the phrase "jump the/a red light"?

Example sentence:
This morning on my way to work, a policeman caught me jumping the/a red light.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can I use the phrase "jump the/a red light" for when I walk across a street at a signalized crosswalk when the light is red? If so, do I need to use the definite or the indefinite article? Are there any alternatives to the phrase "jump the/a red light"?

Example sentence:
This morning on my way to work, a policeman caught me jumping the/a red light.

That is usually used to talk about vehicles not stopping at a red light.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could anybody please tell me what to use for what I described in the first post? There must be simple way of saying it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In America, and many other countries, crossing the road as a pedestrian either at a point in the road where there is not an official crossing, or at a crossing but without waiting for the lights to be in your favour is called "jaywalking". We don't use it in British English.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In America, and many other countries, crossing the road as a pedestrian either at a point in the road where there is not an official crossing, or at a crossing but without waiting for the lights to be in your favour is called "jaywalking". We don't use it in British English.

I gather there isn't a BrE equivalent to "jaywalking", right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the UK, you are allowed to cross the road when the red man is showing, so there's no term for it that I know of.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As Tdol said, there is no law against crossing a road wherever and whenever you like, so we don't need a word for such an infraction. In the USA (and other countries) it is actually an offence (civil or criminal, I'm not sure) to cross at an unauthorised place.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can get a fine for jaywalking in the US, in theory. It's like a parking ticket, a "summary offense."

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That is quite interesting. Thank you for sharing.
One might have thought that since the UK is fairly close to the CZ (and both are in the EU too), crossing the street while the red light is on would be an offense (as it is here and I'm sure many other European countries).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That is quite interesting. Thank you for sharing.
One might have thought that since the UK is fairly close to the CZ (and both are in the EU too), crossing the street while the red light is on would be an offense (as it is here and I'm sure many other European countries).
My experience has been that, unless there is a hungry-looking policeman around, Czech pedestrians pay as little attention to the red light as we Brits.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
And supposing you are driving, can you say jump the red light?

CarlosSs gave an example: 'The policeman caught me while I was jumping the red light', then bhaisahab corrected saying that if you were walking there would be no reason for the policeman to stop you (at least in the UK), but what about if it's implied that I was driving? Is this expression still ok?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we only refer to jumping a red light when talking about a driver who either fails to stop at a red light or stops but then drives away before the light turns green.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's "running" a red light in AmE.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
And supposing you are driving, can you say jump the red light?

CarlosSs gave an example: 'The policeman caught me while I was jumping the red light', then bhaisahab corrected saying that if you were walking there would be no reason for the policeman to stop you (at least in the UK), but what about if it's implied that I was driving? Is this expression still ok?
This is what I said in post #2.
"That is usually used to talk about vehicles not stopping at a red light."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only BE speaker alive who understands 'jaywalk' to have the alternative meaning of 'wander absentmindedly into the road oblivious to the presence of approaching traffic'.

I was taught this as a small child some 70 years ago – probably by my parents or a teacher – but none of my compatriots in this thread or in this one makes any reference to the possible existence of that meaning.

There is some evidence for it: at least four of the dictionaries here, (1, 4, 6 and 11), including two American ones, state that it can mean to cross a road carelessly, recklessly or heedlessly – as well as illegally.

I'll get my coat (and hat).

Rover:cry:

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Shall I help you into your coat, sir? ;-)

I've never heard that definition (mind you, I wasn't around 70 years ago). I've only ever heard it used it to mean an actual offence of crossing the road where it is not permitted. I suppose by definition that does also means crossing the road in an ill-advised or dangerous place, and therefore recklessly or carelessly, but I certainly don't associate it with wandering absentmindedly into the road.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only BE speaker alive who understands 'jaywalk' to have the alternative meaning of 'wander absentmindedly into the road oblivious to the presence of approaching traffic'.

I was taught this as a small child some 70 years ago – probably by my parents or a teacher – but none of my compatriots in this thread or in this one makes any reference to the possible existence of that meaning.
I used to know/use the expression in that way, but had forgotten until you mentioned it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yay!
83.gif

Sometimes a simple click on the Like button is not enough.

The drinks are on me.:cheers:

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.