Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "every single point" mean? The translation is "full score". Is it correct?

go1mo-24
ex)Greg felt like a failure if he didn’t receive every single point on every single assignment. A grade of 95 left him ①asking, “How did I fail to achieve 100?” Greg realized that his drive for perfectionism was putting him into a state of constant stress. He decided ②to work on stress management. He came up with the creative idea of ③posting notes everywhere with the simple message, “92 is still an A.”

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Full marks; 100%.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you explain why it means "full marks"? Is it just an idiom?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suppose it is an idiom in the sense that it's
a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g. over the moon).
(COED).

As 5jj said, it means a score, grade or mark of 100% in a test/exam, and is also used metaphorically in other contexts, thus:

'I have to give you full marks for your charitable work in this neighbourhood' ('I admire your charitable work without reservation').

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree that 'full marks' might be considered an idiom (though it had not occurred to me until Rover mentioned it). 'Every single point/mark' however is not an idiom. The words have their normal, natural meanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.