Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. BrunaBC's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 248
    #1

    settle a meeting for

    Hi,

    Could you help me with this one?
    Supposing that I know that a meeting was settled / arranged today and I want to ask when it will take place.
    Are the questions below right?

    1) When did you arrange the meeting for?

    2) When did you settle the meeting for?

    Thank you
    Not a teacher.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,593
    #2

    Re: settle a meeting for

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunaBC View Post
    Hi,

    Could you help me with this one?
    Supposing that I know that a meeting was settled / arranged today and I want to ask when it will take place.
    Are the questions below right?

    1) When did you arrange the meeting for?

    2) When did you settle the meeting for?

    Thank you
    The first one is fine. The second is not natural.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #3

    Re: settle a meeting for

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunaBC View Post
    Hi,

    Could you help me with this one?
    Supposing that I know that a meeting was settled / arranged today and I want to ask when it will take place.
    Are the questions below right?

    1) When did you arrange the meeting for?

    2) When did you settle the meeting for?

    Thank you
    I would prefer, "When is the meeting scheduled?"

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,822
    #4

    Re: settle a meeting for

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunaBC View Post
    Hi,

    Could you help me with this one?
    Supposing that I know that a meeting was settled / arranged today and I want to ask when it will take place.
    Are the questions below right?

    1) When did you arrange the meeting for?

    2) When did you settle the meeting for?

    Thank you
    We don't use "settle" like that. You might hear "We settled on a date for the meeting" where "to settle on" means "to agree", "to decide" or "to choose".

    I would use "When did you arrange the meeting for?" I don't think we use schedule quite as often in BrE as it's used in AmE. I might also say "So when's the meeting?" if I knew that a date/time had been fixed and the person I was speaking to knew which meeting I was talking about.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. BrunaBC's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 248
    #5

    Re: settle a meeting for

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    We don't use "settle" like that. You might hear "We settled on a date for the meeting" where "to settle on" means "to agree", "to decide" or "to choose".

    I would use "When did you arrange the meeting for?" I don't think we use schedule quite as often in BrE as it's used in AmE. I might also say "So when's the meeting?" if I knew that a date/time had been fixed and the person I was speaking to knew which meeting I was talking about.
    I see your point, and I was thinking if it's wrong to say "when's the meeting going to be?"
    Not a teacher.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,593
    #6

    Re: settle a meeting for

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunaBC View Post
    I see your point, and I was thinking if it's wrong to say "when's the meeting going to be?"
    "When is the meeting going to be?" is fine.

Similar Threads

  1. settle/might as well know
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2011, 13:24
  2. and settle them she would.
    By vectra in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-Jan-2011, 18:16
  3. settle down
    By becks in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2008, 00:12
  4. class meeting or staff meeting
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2007, 06:36
  5. settle on
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2007, 08:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •