Which of these readings are in British English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hello everybody! I am now listening to the audiobooks of Emma from LibriVox. I find that there are several versions of it. As I am currently learning British English and would like to catch up with the accent, I would like to know if anybody can help me to discern the accents of these three speakers and tell me which one of them is with British accent.

Here are the links: LibriVox » Emma, by Jane Austen (solo)
LibriVox » Emma (version 3) by Jane Austen
LibriVox » Emma (version5) by Jane Austen

If I am right, Elizabeth Klett should be speaking in British English, but I am sure about that.

Thank you very much!
:)

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

None of them speak with a British accent. Elizabeth Klett speaks with an American accent. I don't know where Sherry Crowther is from, but she sounds Canadian. Moira Fogarty also sounds Canadian.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
They all sound North American to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I Googled the three readers and found the following:

Elizabeth Klett's writing in her personal page/blog suggests she is American or Canadian - she uses "mom" and one of her hobbies is quilting.

Moira Fogarty - interestingly, on her own profile page she writes "
My voice is full, deep, round, clear and well-inflected with no heavy accent. My diction and enunciation are as close to pristine BBC Newscaster English as you can get without a British accent" (my italics). She also describes herself as a native speaker of English (British), English (North American) and English (Other).

I couldn't find any biographical info on Sherry Crowther.

PS - Sorry about the usual formatting problem with the cut-and-paste bit.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She sounds exactly like the BBC, except for the British bit. LOL

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

There is a way around this problem. If you copy your text into Notepad and then copy and paste it from Notepad into this text message thingy (I don't know what to call this :-D) then your text will automatically appear in the default typeface. I've had this problem in the past and this is my way around it ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

There is a way around this problem. If you copy your text into Notepad and then copy and paste it from Notepad into this text message thingy (I don't know what to call this :-D) then your text will automatically appear in the default typeface. I've had this problem in the past and this is my way around it ;-)

No Notepad on a Mac! I'll try TextEdit. Thanks.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
As far as I know, Elizabeth Klett is American. However, interestingly, sometimes I find comments like this: "
Elizabeth Klett gives us a wonderful, professional quality reading of this classic. Happy to report that her British accent is very creditable, even to the ears of a native speaker. Brava! (The BookWorm, Manchester, UK)"
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë - Books Should Be Free
or "Elizabeth Klett
(US, but amazing British English accent )" Other British Readers on LibriVox « RuthieG's CataBlog
As a native speaker of British English, how does her accent actually sound to you? Is it true that she is reading with a British accent in her audiobooks of Emma and Jane Eyre?

Thank you very much!:)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As far as I know, Elizabeth Klett is American. However, interestingly, sometimes I find comments like this: "
Elizabeth Klett gives us a wonderful, professional quality reading of this classic. Happy to report that her British accent is very creditable, even to the ears of a native speaker. Brava! (The BookWorm, Manchester, UK)"
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë - Books Should Be Free
or "Elizabeth Klett(US, but amazing British English accent )" Other British Readers on LibriVox « RuthieG's CataBlog
As a native speaker of British English, how does her accent actually sound to you? Is it true that she is reading with a British accent in her audiobooks of Emma and Jane Eyre?

No, she has a North American accent.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I Googled the three readers and found the following:

Elizabeth Klett's writing in her personal page/blog suggests she is American or Canadian - she uses "mom" and one of her hobbies is quilting.

Moira Fogarty - interestingly, on her own profile page she writes "
My voice is full, deep, round, clear and well-inflected with no heavy accent. My diction and enunciation are as close to pristine BBC Newscaster English as you can get without a British accent" (my italics). She also describes herself as a native speaker of English (British), English (North American) and English (Other).

I couldn't find any biographical info on Sherry Crowther.

Thank you for your reply.
As far as I know, Elizabeth Klett is American. However, interestingly, sometimes I find comments like: “Elizabeth Klett gives us a wonderful, professional quality reading of this classic. Happy to report that her British accent is very creditable, even to the ears of a native speaker. Brava! (The BookWorm, Manchester,UK)Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë - Books Should Be Free and “Elizabeth Klett (US, but amazing British English accent)” Other British Readers on LibriVox « RuthieG's CataBlog

As a native speaker of British English, how does her accent sound to you? Is it true that she reads with a British accent in both of her audiobooks, Emma and Jane Eyre?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Yes—that works! Thanks for bringing that to our attention, CS.:up:

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.