Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
" A great deal of attention is being paid today to the so-called digital divide-- the division of the world into the info rich and the info poor. And the divide does exist todaty. My wife and I lectured about this looming danger twenty years ago. There are reasons to be optimistc.
There are tehnological reasons to hope the digital divide will narrow. As the Internet becomes more and more commercialized. ... As a result, I now believe the digital divide will narrow rather than widen in the years ahead. And that is very good news because the Internet may well be the most powerful tool for combating world poverty that we' ve ever had."

After you read the above , please tell me whether digital divide is getting worse because of the Internet or the world must guard against.
Thank you indeed!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The digital divide is not getting worse. It will narrow. The writer thinks that this is a good thing.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The digital divide is not getting worse. It will narrow. The writer thinks that this is a good thing.
Please note, I didn't ask whether the digital divide itself is a good or bad thing. I only ask you to objectively describe the digital divide according to the material. So , for it , we can think " to narrow ' means getting worse, on the contrary, to widen means getting better. Am I right?
Now let me copy the original question: " Digital divide is something a. getting worse because of the Internet. b. the world must guard againt." which will you choose, please.
Thanks!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Please note, I didn't ask whether the digital divide itself is a good or bad thing. I only ask you to objectively describe the digital divide according to the material. So , for it , we can think " to narrow ' means getting worse, on the contrary, to widen means getting better. Am I right?
Now let me copy the original question: " Digital divide is something a. getting worse because of the Internet. b. the world must guard againt." which will you choose, please.
Thanks!

Hi,

From 5jj's answer, and from the text itself, I believe none of the possible answers is correct. If the "digital divide" will narrow because of the Internet, then the Internet itself certainly won't make it worse. And if the author believes that this is a good thing, I don't see why the world should guard against it.

charliedeut

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No.
" A great deal of attention is being paid today to the so-called digital divide-- the division of the world into the info rich and the info poor. And the divide does exist todaty. My wife and I lectured about this looming danger twenty years ago.
The divide is a danger
There are reasons to be optimistic.There are tehnological reasons to hope the digital divide will narrow.
The narrowing of the divide is considered a good thing
As a result, I now believe the digital divide will narrow rather than widen in the years ahead. And that is very good news
Clear?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No.
The divide is a dangerThe narrowing of the divide is considered a good thingClear?
I agree with you. I came to know the topic is to judge whether you understand the whole context, not to ask you to objectively describe the digital divide itself. Am I right?
Thank you for your reasonable explanation!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No.
The divide is a dangerThe narrowing of the divide is considered a good thingClear?
Yes, it's clear!
I agree with you. I came to know the topic is to judge whether you understand the whole context, not to ask you to objectively describe the digital divide itself. Am I right?
Thank you for your reasonable explanation!

Status
Not open for further replies.