Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Philippines
This is a question raised by a Japanese student:

A: Several people were severely and slightly injured in the airplane accident.
B: One hundred people were severely or slightly injured in the airplane accident.

At school, he learned that in Sentence A, "AND" should be used while in Sentence B "OR" should be (because of the difference of the number of Subject)

To me, even in Sentence A, "OR" looks quite OK.
When AND is good, and when OR should be used?

Thank you in advance.

This is a question raised by a Japanese student:

A: Several people were severely and slightly injured in the airplane accident.
B: One hundred people were severely or slightly injured in the airplane accident.

At school, he learned that in Sentence A, "AND" should be used while in Sentence B "OR" should be (because of the difference of the number of Subject)

To me, even in Sentence A, "OR" looks quite OK.
When AND is good, and when OR should be used?

Thank you in advance.

Only "or" works in both sentences. However, neither of them is very natural, we would most likely say "Several people were injured, some of them severely".

Thank you very much. I understand it well.
Let me leave this thread open so that anyone can still add comments.

They overlap and there are cases where either could be used, but this 'rule' makes no sense to me; it is not about the number of people hurt but about the severity of their injuries. Furthermore, even if it were about the number or people, I don't see how this rule works:
Six or seven people turned up. :tick:
Six or seven million people turned up. :tick:

PS
Let me leave this thread open so that anyone can still add comments.
Please leave threads open always for this very purpose. They will close automatically when they are dead.

Only "or" works in both sentences. However, neither of them is very natural, we would most likely say "Several people were injured, some of them severely".

Your two sentnces can be written as the following:
In sentence A: Several people were severely or slightly injured in the airplane accident.
In sentence B: One hundred people were severely or slightly injured in the airplane accident.
Only or is possible in these two examples.

Your two sentnces can be written as the following:
In sentence A: Several people were severely or slightly injured in the airplane accident.
In sentence B: One hundred people were severely or slightly injured in the airplane accident.
Only or is possible in these two examples.
As bhai has already pointed out, neither of these is natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back