[Vocabulary] What is an "executive parking lot"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I found the word "executive parking lot" on one of my quizzes and I couldn't get what it means. Please help!;-)

---
-They towed my car away from the executive parking lot yesterday.
-You should not have parked there.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I found the word "executive parking lot" on one of my quizzes and I couldn't get what it means. Please help!;-)

---
-They towed my car away from the executive parking lot yesterday.
-You should not have parked there.
It's a parking lot for executives. The person shouldn't have parked there because they weren't an executive.
"executive parking lot" is a phrase. It's not a word.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'The executive parking lot' is 'the bosses' car park'.

An executive is

a person with senior managerial responsibility in a business.
COED

Rover

Last edited:

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
'The executive parking lot' is 'the bosses' car park'.

An executive is

COED

Rover

What is the difference between " and ' ?(double quotation mark & quotation mark):)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the difference between " and ' ?(double quotation mark & quotation mark):)

Very little as you can see here. Some people prefer single quotation marks over double, and vice versa. Some people use one for actual quotes and the other to, for example, set one word in a sentence apart from the others. You will see both used on this forum in very different ways. For my part, I don't use single quotation marks at all. For me, the mark that is used for that is an apostrophe. I always use double quotation marks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Modern books published in the UK normally use single inverted commas, whilst the USA prefers doubles.

I use ' as it's easier to type — to get " I have to use the Shift key and then go and look for it.

Rover

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For my part, I don't use single quotation marks at all.

I prefer single ones to doubles. If I have a quote in a quote, I start with double quotation marks and then single ones.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I prefer single ones to doubles. If I have a quote in a quote, I start with double quotation marks and then single ones.

That's the only time that my preference for double quotation marks leaves my posts looking messy. Before now, I have typed something similar to:

Sorry, I should have written "I think you mean "I wish I could park in an executive parking lot."".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I used to use double quotes always. Now I tend to use single quotes for a word and double quotes for anything longer than one word - in case anyone is wondering about inconsistencies in my posts.
Another point is that the surrounding text often determines a choice. For example, one could argue (but I won't) that Rover's 'the bosses' car park' should use double quotes because there's a single quote (actually an apostrophe) between the outer quotes. Also see ems's example above.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Wow, I didn't know the usage of double and sing quotes could be so free!:lol:
I've always believed that there is a strict/clear rule on using them. Thank you all, for (accidentally) let me know various ways of using the quotes!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you all, for (accidentally) letting me know various ways of using the quotes!

I don't believe it was all that accidental, since you asked explicitly aboout their usage. ;-)

charliedeut

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I don't believe it was all that accidental, since you asked explicitly aboout their usage. ;-)

charliedeut

Oh! I thought the following replies were chats! But yes, if I hadn't asked the difference between the two kinds of quotes, there won't be so many replies here.:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The original conversation was about an executive parking lot and it led on, incidentally, to a conversation about quotation marks.

There's a difference between "incidentally" and "accidentally".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Wow, I didn't know the usage of double and sing quotes could be so free!:lol:

I think computers may have helped make them freer- it's easier to type a single quote. In the days of typewriters, the rules were more rigid because they came with the training.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The original conversation was about an executive parking lot and it led on, incidentally, to a conversation about quotation marks.

There's a difference between "incidentally" and "accidentally".

Is "incidentally" here used to connect the second sentence which is kind of related to the first sentence but not expected?
Like, I didn't know I'd gain knowledge about the quotes when posting this thread, but this discussion of punctuations didn't just pop out for no reason, because I'm the one who asked about this. Therefore, I should say the discussion "incidentally" happened instead of "accidentally"?
Thank you.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think computers may have helped make them freer- it's easier to type a single quote. In the days of typewriters, the rules were more rigid because they came with the training.

Talking about computers, and internet! They have also deeply changed lots of usages of my language, too. But I'm not sure if people with strict language training from the previous generation of my country are also so open-minded with those changes though!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's logical. I don't use mobile phones much and tend to use complete words and punctuate my messages. If I have to send a few, I abandon this.

Status
Not open for further replies.