Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How can I understand this part of a song lyric?
What's Yr Take on Cassavetes?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

In a different thread you were asked not to use text speak abbreviations such as "u", "ur and "yr". I hope that this wasn't a deliberate attempt.

As for your question, see take - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online, the second definition.

Next time, please select a more relevant thread title. You could have named this one, 'someone's take on something/someone.' Cassavetes, whoever that is, has little to do with the linguistic matter at hand.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rona, I found the following comment regarding the lyrics of Le Tigre's song "What's Yr Take on Cassavettes" at What's Ya Take on Cassavettes Lyric Meaning - Le Tigre Meanings Please note, the comment contains many grammatical errors and should not be considered to be an example of correct Standard English. However, the comment may help you better understand the meaning of the song lyrics.

yeah gena rowlands starred in a lot of his films, faces for instance (1968). and the whole misogynist thing: i read somewhere that cassavetes based "woman under the influence" partially off of his emotional experiences in his own marriage to rowlands. and considering that in the film, the quasi-alcoholic, semi-psychotic mabel (played by gena rowlands) is not only completely controlled by, sent to a mental institution by, and verbally and physically abused by her violent and somewhat deranged husband, i think theres a bit of truth to both accusations of misogynist and genius. the film IS genius, despite its foundations in personal experiences. as is faces. all his female roles are eccentric and indulgent, but the films themselves are brilliant in portraying the scenario.

Cheers,
Amigos4

Rona 12

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you very much Amigos4. It helped me a lot. English is also about slang and informal usage, isn't it. Without it I would not be able to understand almost anyone.
Rona

Last edited:

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
After some thought, I'd like to object very strongly on the prohibition this place appears to enforce on texting and twittering abbreviations.

(1) In this case it is entirely wrong because the "yr" is a direct quote.

(2) People learn English where they do it, not where they ought to do it by someone's arbitrary decree.

(3) If the texting abbreviations exercise even native speakers often enough, they must be nearly insuperable to learners.

(4) English has never been a prescriptivist language of a prescriptivist culture. A language without officially defined spelling and grammar rules is based entirely on usage.

(5) The texting usage is only growing. Whether you hate it or not.

I will even go so far as to protest what I will call the hectoring tone so often adopted to those who sneak in a texting abbreviation.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
After some thought, I'd like to object very strongly on the prohibition this place appears to enforce on texting and twittering abbreviations.

(1) In this case it is entirely wrong because the "yr" is a direct quote.
(2) People learn English where they do it, not where they ought to do it by someone's arbitrary decree.
(3) If the texting abbreviations exercise even native speakers often enough, they must be nearly insuperable to learners.
(4) English has never been a prescriptivist language of a prescriptivist culture. A language without officially defined spelling and grammar rules is based entirely on usage.
(5) The texting usage is only growing. Whether you hate it or not.

I will even go so far as to protest what I will call the hectoring tone so often adopted to those who sneak in a texting abbreviation.
Feeling better now?

There are countless sites where textspeak is accepted. If people wish to read and use it, they can visit any of those sites at any time. In this forum we request people not to use textspeak. That doesn't seem so hard.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That doesn't excuse our hectoring people who slip in the occasional "u".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That doesn't excuse us hectoring people who slip in the occasional "u".
I don't think you will find many examples of anybody 'hectoring' new members on the first occasion they do this.

Some of us do get a little edgy with people who have been around for some time and who have been asked before not to do this. If people want us to help them, they should follow forum rules.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I had to look up 'hectoring'. It seems to mean 'bollocking' and we don't do this the first time they do it.

Oh, it's in the dictionary all right. But the purpose of speaking is to be understood, not to force others to run for the word-lists.

Rover

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A question regarding the off topic question....What about text speak like LOL which has been added to the dictionary, among other such words.....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A question regarding the off topic question....What about text speak like LOL which has been added to the dictionary, among other such words.....
We prefer that people do not use it.

We are perfectly happy to deal with questions about informal English, slang, taboo words, chatlish, etc, However, many of the people who send in questions are interested in the the semi-formal language that is likely to be taught and tested at schools and universities. That is why we ask members to avoid very informal language, chatlish and text speak in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.