What was his reaction to the doctor's comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
This is for a listening comprehension exercise. The text is from a CD. (The Elephant Man)
Context:
I told the Hospital Chairman, Mr Carr Gomm, about Merrick. He listened carefully, and then he wrote a letter to the editor of the times newspaper.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
This is for a listening comprehension exercise. The text is from a CD. (The Elephant Man)
Context:
I told the Hospital Chairman, Mr Carr Gomm, about Merrick. He listened carefully, and then he wrote a letter to the editor of the times newspaper.

Thanks in advance.

I don't like the word "comment" in the question. It sounds like the doctor told Mr Gomm the whole story of Merrick - that's much more than a comment.
Also, Mr Gomm's "reaction" was to listen carefully. The action he took was to write a letter to the editor of The Times (note the capitalisation of the newspaper's name).

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
Thank you for your reply and comments.
It sounds like the doctor told Mr Gomm the whole story of Merrick.
You are right. It sounds like he did.

Also, Mr Gomm's "reaction" was to listen carefully. The action he took was to write a letter to the editor of The Times (note the capitalisation of the newspaper's name) Thank you.
Then, how about this one?
What did Mr Gomm do after he listened carefully to the doctor?

L.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Thank you for your reply and comments.

You are right. It sounds like he did.

Then, how about this one?
What did Mr Gomm do after he listened carefully to the doctor?

L.

That fits the context better although it is a much easier question to answer. I'm not sure what level you are aiming this at but that won't challenge your students very much.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
That fits the context better although it is a much easier question to answer. I'm not sure what level you are aiming this at but that won't challenge your students very much. I do agree completely.
Hi,
They are intermediate.
How about this one, 'Did the doctor's talk have any impact on Mr Gomm?'?

L.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.