Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Excuse me, I am a little confused about the word souvenir. Does the word souvenir just refer to something that we bring to a friend / family member when we come back from a trip? Or can we use it to refer to something that we give to another person so that they can always have it to remember us?
In this case if the words memento and keepsake are synonyms, which one (memento, keepsake or souvenir) is the most common?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Or can we use it to refer to something that we give to another person so that they can always have it to remember us?
In this case if the words memento and keepsake are synonyms, which one (memento, keepsake or souvenir) is the most common?

NOT A TEACHER

See here. 'Memento' is indeed a synonym of 'souvenir' and 'keepsake' is a synonym of 'memento.'

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Excuse me, I am a little confused about the word souvenir. Does the word souvenir just refer to something that we bring to a friend / family member when we come back from a trip? Or can we use it to refer to something that we give to another person so that they can always have it to remember us?

NOT A TEACHER

See here. 'Memento' is indeed a synonym of 'souvenir' and 'keepsake' is a synonym of 'memento.'
I'd go with 'keepsake'... because I would want you to 'keep' the item for the 'sake' of remembering me! ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Souvenirs are something you bring back when you have gone on a trip. If you want someone to remember you, then you give a memento.

Status
Not open for further replies.