Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The question goes as follows.
[FONT=&#23435]-[/FONT]You didn’t get hurt at all in the traffic accident?
[FONT=&#23435]-[/FONT]_______. I was a lucky dog.
A. No problem B. I don’t think so
C. I’m afraid not D. Good heavens no
My initial preference is D,but afer consulting a dictionary ,I found that D seems to be used only when something terrible has just happend.So, I'm at a loss at this question now.Any help would be appreciated.Thank you all .
:)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Where does this question come from? None of the answers sounds natural; neither does 'I was a lucky dog'.

The natural answer is 'No. I was lucky'.

A better title would have been You didn't get hurt at all?

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed. (Avoid phrases like "HELP!", "Urgent!", "translation please", "how do I say this", "I'm new" and similar expressions.)

Rover

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The question goes as follows.
You didn’t get hurt at all in the traffic accident?
_______. I was a lucky dog.
A. No problem B. I don’t think so
C. I’m afraid not D. Good heavens no
My initial preference is D,but [STRIKE]afer [/STRIKE] after consulting a dictionary,I found that D seems to be used only when something terrible has just [STRIKE]happend[/STRIKE] happened. So, I'm at a loss at this question now.Any help would be appreciated.Thank you all .
:) Wouldn't an accident qualify as something terrible?
I am not familiar with the way you defined "Good heavens, no". It is usually used in a somewhat lighter manner - "Do you like the new worker?" "Good heavens, no. She is much too thin for me". Given that, either B or D would work here. B could be used if you were unaware of a possible injury (lawyers are quite good at finding these injuries). D would make sense, but it would be an uncommon usage of the term. A could also be an answer, especially from a younger person.

Status
Not open for further replies.