The road condition is very icy and hazardous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
1) The road condition is very icy and hazardous. Please drive safely when the road is in icy condition.
2) Snow will turn into ice when they have been compressed by getting rolled over by car or by being stepped.
3) The hazardous road condition has affected my speed in delivering pizza.
4) The dangerous road condition has slowed down/hamper my delivery of pizza because I have to drive slower.

Are the above sentences correct? Hope somebody can help me out. :)

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
Should I say the road is in hazardous/icy/slippery condition or should I say, the condition of the road is hazardous/icy/slippery?

* I am not sure how to form a correct sentence.

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most commonly you hear about "icy/hazardous road conditions"

E.g. "Drivers on the M26 are warned to take particular care due to icy road conditions."

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) The road conditions [STRIKE]is [/STRIKE] are very icy and hazardous. Please drive safely when the roads [STRIKE]is [/STRIKE][STRIKE]in [/STRIKE] are icy [STRIKE]condition[/STRIKE].
2) Snow will turn into ice when [STRIKE]they [/STRIKE][STRIKE]have [/STRIKE] it has been compressed by getting rolled over by cars or by being stepped on. While it may be true that repeated stepping on snow will turn the snow into ice, it would take many people a long time to affect a highway.
3) The hazardous road conditions has affected my speed in delivering pizza.
4) The dangerous road conditions has slowed down/hampered my delivery of pizza because I have to drive slower.

Are the above sentences correct? Hope somebody can help me out. ​"can" here indicates an ability. This sentence should be written - I hope that someone will help me:)
I use "conditions" because a the surface of a road can change during winter. One part can be dry while another part can be icy or have what is called black ice on it. One can use the article "the" here, but it is not necessary - the road conditions = road conditions.

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
Most commonly you hear about "icy/hazardous road conditions"

E.g. "Drivers on the M26 are warned to take particular care due to icy road conditions."

Thanks for repying MartinEnglish.

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
I use "conditions" because a the surface of a road can change during winter. One part can be dry while another part can be icy or have what is called black ice on it. One can use the article "the" here, but it is not necessary - the road conditions = road conditions.

Thanks for teaching me Gillnetter. Your respond to my posting is very informative and helpful. I have learned a lot from it. Thanks for being such a good teacher and for being so helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.