[General] What does ” That put paid to it" mean exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Like that said in the title, it's a subtitle from Pride and Prejudice (2005).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot!

Like that said in the title, it's a subtitle from Pride and Prejudice (2005).

The question itself gives rise to another question. When I want to say "like what is said in the title", can I say "like said in the title"? Or how should I correct it?

Firstly, it's usually best not to put the whole question in the title. You could have made the title "that put paid to it" and then written the phrase again, said that it was a subtitle in the film and that you'd like to know what it means.

If you still want to refer to the title you could say: "As the/my title says…", or "As it says in the title…" or something similar. "Like the title says…" is a common form but many would consider it less correct in this context.

I appreciate your thanks Automoon, but it's sufficient to click on "Like" rather than make a special post.
Also, your second question is grammatically unrelated to the first, so a new thread would have been better.

not a teacher

Firstly, it's usually best not to put the whole question in the title. You could have made the title "that put paid to it" and then written the phrase again, said that it was a subtitle in the film and that you'd like to know what it means.

If you still want to refer to the title you could say: "As the/my title says…", or "As it says in the title…" or something similar. "Like the title says…" is a common form but many would consider it less correct in this context.

I appreciate your thanks Automoon, but it's sufficient to click on "Like" rather than make a special post.
Also, your second question is grammatically unrelated to the first, so a new thread would have been better.

not a teacher

can you give me the full sentence using "as the title says..."?
And why "like the title says" would be considered as less correct in this context?

As the title says, I am querying the meaning of the phrase "to put paid to it".

I would like help with the phrase "to put paid to it", as shown in my title.

As the title says, I am querying the meaning of the phrase "to put paid to it".

I would like help with the phrase "to put paid to it", as shown in my title.

What do you mean "as show in my title"?

Come on, you know I meant "show"

You've copied it incorrectly again. And please don't start your responses with "Come on ..." It's rather rude. We are not mindreaders, we frequently don't know what people mean when they post here. It is incumbent on the person asking the question to try to ask the right question wherever possible, and copying text correctly really helps.

You've copied it incorrectly again. And please don't start your responses with "Come on ..." It's rather rude. We are not mindreaders, we frequently don't know what people mean when they post here. It is incumbent on the person asking the question to try to ask the right question wherever possible, and copying text correctly really helps.

You guessed me right. I type it incorrectly again!! So the answer of this question I asked is ?

If you perhaps type the question correctly, you might get an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back