Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Yaowen Chang is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Can I put a comma between "and" and "if"?

    Dear professor,

    I have a question concerning the usage of comma. Based on Chicago Manual of style:6.32“And if,” “that if,” and the like

    When two conjunctions appear next to each other (e.g., and if, but if), they need not be separated by a comma.

    Since the connotation of "need not" is not equivalent to that of "forbidden," can I leave the comma in between "and" and "if" (and, if...)?

    Thanks for your attention!

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: Can I put a comma between "and" and "if"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaowen Chang View Post
    Dear professor,

    I have a question concerning the usage of comma. Based on Chicago Manual of style:6.32“And if,” “that if,” and the like

    When two conjunctions appear next to each other (e.g., and if, but if), they need not be separated by a comma.

    Since the connotation of "need not" is not equivalent to that of "forbidden," can I leave the comma in between "and" and "if" (and, if...)?

    Thanks for your attention!
    Yes. In the appropriate context.

  3. #3
    Yaowen Chang is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Re: Can I put a comma between "and" and "if"?

    What might be the appropriate context for using "and, if..."?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes. In the appropriate context.

  4. #4
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,828

    Re: Can I put a comma between "and" and "if"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaowen Chang View Post
    What might be the appropriate context for using "and, if..."?
    I think she has a degree and, if she has, I will appoint her.

    The commas here function as brackets.

  5. #5
    Yaowen Chang is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Re: Can I put a comma between "and" and "if"?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I think she has a degree and, if she has, I will appoint her.

    The commas here function as brackets.
    Please correct me if I were wrong...

    Think I read somewhere stating that the usage of "and, if..." is kosher if what follows the "and" is a conditional statement with the "if" part the conditional clause?

    Take your example for instance...

    • conditional clause: if she has
    • main clause: I will appoint her


    Am I getting the idea correctly and is this the only condition where a comma can come between "and" and "if"?

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •