Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teacher, I'm very confused about a sentence: ....a treatment to the effectiveness of someone’s aw-shucks folksiness

I'm not sure about the meaning of "aw-shucks folksiness", would you please help?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You will need to give us the entire sentence and context in which you saw the phrase.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you ask this sort of question, it's always better to include more of the context than you have done here. You have not even given the whole sentence.

However, "aw-shucks folksiness" is undoubtedly an American expression. The term "aw-shucks" has many meanings, ranging from an expression of shyness [Mary-Lou to Billy-Jo: "I really like you". Billy-Jo: "Aw shucks, Ma'am".] to one of surprise and/or despair [7th Cavalry Scout: "Injuns, General - thousands of them!" General Custer: "Aw, shucks!"] Whatever the circumstances, it always signifies that the speaker is a homely, unsophisticated, salt-of-the-earth individual: a cowboy, a hill-billy, a farmer. In other words, a man of the people - which is what "folksiness" also means, You would have expected to hear it from President Lincoln, but probably not from President Nixon....

Apologies to any North Americans for my take on your culture...

sonatas86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When you ask this sort of question, it's always better to include more of the context than you have done here. You have not even given the whole sentence.

However, "aw-shucks folksiness" is undoubtedly an American expression. The term "aw-shucks" has many meanings, ranging from an expression of shyness [Mary-Lou to Billy-Jo: "I really like you". Billy-Jo: "Aw shucks, Ma'am".] to one of surprise and/or despair [7th Cavalry Scout: "Injuns, General - thousands of them!" General Custer: "Aw, shucks!"] Whatever the circumstances, it always signifies that the speaker is a homely, unsophisticated, salt-of-the-earth individual: a cowboy, a hill-billy, a farmer. In other words, a man of the people - which is what "folksiness" also means, You would have expected to hear it from President Lincoln, but probably not from President Nixon....

Apologies to any North Americans for my take on your culture...

Thank you very much for your explanation. In fact, I'm reading a book about George Bush. The whole sentence is:

"Bonk’s plan for this day was itself a treatment to the effectiveness of Bush’s aw-shucks folksiness. Because of that reputation, Bonk had overcome his hesitance about sneaking the briefcase bomb into the house, providing Bush a vivid exhibit of the terrorist threat."

I think your explanation fits with the context here as Bush has been described in the press, particularly in Europe, as a "cowboy".

However, may I ask one more question? Is the first sentence "Bonk’s plan for this day was itself a treatment to the effectiveness of Bush’s aw-shucks folksiness" means that Bonk's plan is formulated because Bush is such a homely person? Does this sentence carries the meaning of helping Bush because of his personality?

Sorry for my stupid question and thanks for your help.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think your explanation fits with the context here as Bush has been described in the press, particularly in Europe, as a "cowboy".

Oh, dear. I think I may have led you astray a bit. In this case, the press are using the expression "cowboy" to mean something quite different to the traditional meaning of the word. Whereas the "aw shucks folksiness" ideal of a cowboy is an upright, straight talking individual with high moral values, the press are using the word in its other, pejorative, sense of someone who acts before he thinks, takes unnecessary risks, and generally leaves things half completed.

Going on to your second question about "Bonk’s plan for this day was itself a treatment to the effectiveness of Bush’s aw-shucks folksiness", I'm not sure what the author means by "a treatment to the effectiveness". I guess that he means that the plan was designed to show that Bush was not a "homely" person, and that his "aw-shucks homeliness" image was a political ruse. So it was not at all about helping Bush; quite the opposite.

I think the author's being a bit hard on whichever Bush he is talking about, but it's a free country....

Last edited:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I'd avoid referring to someone as "homely" in the US. Most folks here understand it to mean "ugly, unattractive, or plain".

sonatas86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Oh, dear. I think I may have led you astray a bit. In this case, the press are using the expression "cowboy" to mean something quite different to the traditional meaning of the word. Whereas the "aw shucks folksiness" ideal of a cowboy is an upright, straight talking individual with high moral values, the press are using the word in its other, pejorative, sense of someone who acts before he thinks, takes unnecessary risks, and generally leaves things half completed.

Going on to your second question about "Bonk’s plan for this day was itself a treatment to the effectiveness of Bush’s aw-shucks folksiness", I'm not sure what the author means by "a treatment to the effectiveness". I guess that he means that the plan was designed to show that Bush was not a "homely" person, and that his "aw-shucks homeliness" image was a political ruse. So it was not at all about helping Bush; quite the opposite.

I think the author's being a bit hard on whichever Bush he is talking about, but it's a free country....

Dear Grumpy & SlickVic9000

Many thanks for your detailed explanation.:)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'd avoid referring to someone as "homely" in the US. Most folks here understand it to mean "ugly, unattractive, or plain".

It's difficult to think of an exact adjectival equivalent in AmE for the BrE homely. Folksy may be the closest.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, I wouldn't say that "homely" means "ugly, unattractive or plain". It just means that you might be a little quiet, you like to be at home, and perhaps enjoy cooking/baking. Perhaps you prefer being at home doing domestic things, rather than being outside doing other things.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

We call someone like that a "homebody" here in the States. Also, I realize "homely" doesn't have such a negative meaning in BrE, but it does in AmE, which is why I felt the need to point that out.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I think that in Aust/NZ "homely" almost always means "plain-looking", even "unattractive". I've heard "homebody" used in the way SlickVic suggests.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks JMurray. When we have these AmE-BrE discussions I often wonder what the view from down under is, but I rarely find out.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was wondering what being ugly had to do with being folky. Glad I learned this difference.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In BrE, I wouldn't say that "homely" means "ugly, unattractive or plain". It just means that you might be a little quiet, you like to be at home, and perhaps enjoy cooking/baking. Perhaps you prefer being at home doing domestic things, rather than being outside doing other things.
That's how my wife uses the word of herself. I use the word of her in the American sense.

Mind you, it suits both of us. Given her looks, it's better for all if she stays at home cooking.

;-)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I was wondering what being ugly had to do with being folky. Glad I learned this difference.

Admittedly, folksy was a very poor match. Feeble is too good a word. :) My final attempt at an AmE adjective equivalent to BrE homely: homebodyish.

Status
Not open for further replies.