Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What does the word "matriculate" actually mean in the sentence below? Does it mean "to become a student" as the dictionary says? But it doesn't make sense to me if I read it like this "to become a student in the workforce." I was guessing it might mean "admit into the workforce"?

"Higher Education is selling an illusion: that a child of the well-to-do need not matriculate into the workforce—that mastery of a fungible skill is not necessary."

Thanks for help in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does the word "matriculate" actually mean in the sentence below? Does it mean "to become a student" as the dictionary says? But it doesn't make sense to me if I read it like this "to become a student in the workforce." I was guessing it might mean "admit into the workforce"?

"Higher Education is selling an illusion: that a child of the well-to-do need not matriculate into the workforce—that mastery of a fungible skill is not necessary."

Thanks for help in advance.

It hasn't been used very well. I think the writer was trying to say that the children of rich parents don't need to gain qualifications in order to get a job. It's not necessary for them to finish school or university because they will probably get a job thanks to contacts of their parents or their parents' friends. In BrE, we have a phrase for it - "Jobs for the boys". It suggests that some organisations give jobs to people because of who they are, rather than based on their specific skills.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
ps. If you didn't know what the word fungible meant, you were not alone. I had no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.