'I've been tolerating this situation for years!' (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

Is this structure correct? (suggesting how tough the situation is?)

Or it should only be, 'I've tolerated...'?

Thanks!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
HI,

IMO, the continuous does indicate that the situation has been long and unpleasant.

charliedeut

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: But the collocation tolerate/situation, though a perfectly good one, is rather formal. Something like 'I've been putting up with this for ages' would sound more familaiar.

b

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
:up: But the collocation tolerate/situation, though a perfectly good one, is rather formal. Something like 'I've been putting up with this for ages' would sound more familaiar.

b

Not that the OP mentioned whether they were after a formal or informal way to say it, by the way.;-)

charliedeut

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks to you both for the replies. And, dear BobK, I appreciate your consideration!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not that the OP mentioned whether they were after a formal or informal way to say it, by the way.;-)

charliedeut
:up: I noticed that many of my Spanish students used to prefer latinate words like 'tolerate' and 'situation', which have Castilian cognates (tolerar and situación in this case). So I feared your (unstated ;-)) approval might be biased!

b

PS(This tendency was one I exploited when I was learning Spanish. I used words like crematística before words like dinero; come to think of it, that's a rotten example - one word's root is Greek χρηματα and the other's is the Latin denarius - but what I mean is that my knowledge of classical languages made it easier for me to use long words rather than short ones.)

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
:up: I noticed that many of my Spanish students used to prefer latinate words like 'tolerate' and 'situation', which have Castilian cognates (tolerar and situación in this case). So I feared your (unstated ;-)) approval might be biased!

I hope not. Not intentionally, at least! :up:

charliedeut

Status
Not open for further replies.