Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"We should be engaging women, giving them honest and realistic information to make decisions about how they want to give birth.

1. Please comment on the tense of the senetence.Is it present continuous tense?

2. What would be the difference in the meaning in the original sentence and below sentence?
"
"We should be engaging women by giving them honest and realistic information to make decisions about how they want to give birth."

3. Whats' the meaning of the original sentence?

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. Please comment on the tense of the sentence.Is it present continuous tense?
We engage - present simple
We are engaging - present progressive/continuous.
We should engage - modal + bare infinitive (simple)
We should be engaging - modal + bare infinitive (progressive/continuous)

sh3000

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
**NOTE:I am not a teacher yet, but I am a language enthusiasr, and an experienced translator.

"We should be engaging women, giving them honest and realistic information to make decisions about how they want to give birth.

1. Please comment on the tense of the senetence.Is it present continuous tense?
ofcourse.becaus of 'be+V~ing' pattern.'Should' is a mere modal.
2. What would be the difference in the meaning in the original sentence and below sentence?
"
"We should be engaging women by giving them honest and realistic information to make decisions about how they want to give birth."

none in concept.but the clause starting 'giving them' is like a 'reduced relative clause'.I have read that if a relative word like 'which' is followed by a verb in active voiice, they can be replaced by a V~ing.
3. Whats' the meaning of the original sentence?

it recommends that we engage women and ... .It makes an advice. and uses present continuous tense

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
**NOTE:spaceI am not a teacher yet, but I am a language enthusias[STRIKE]r[/STRIKE]t, and an experienced translator.

[STRIKE]o[/STRIKE]Ofspacecourse.because of 'be+V~ing' pattern.space'Should' is a mere modal.
'should be engaging' is not an example of a present continuous tense.
but the clause starting 'giving them' is like a 'reduced relative clause'
It is not.
[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] It recommends that we engage [STRIKE]wemon[/STRIKE] women and ... .spaceIt [STRIKE]makes an[/STRIKE] gives advice.
It is not necessarily giving advice. It is probably suggesting that we have a duty/obligation to do this

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note: 3. What's — not Whats'.

sh3000

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
'should be engaging' is not an example of a present continuous tense.It is not. It is not necessarily giving advice. It is probably suggesting that we have a duty/obligation to do this
It says that 'enegaging women, etc, is right and desirable.It says nothing about mandatoriness.'must' or 'have to' emphasizes that aspect

I think the verb tensde is present continuous.Why do you think it is not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It says that '[STRIKE]enegaging[/STRIKE] engaging women, etc, is right and desirable. It says nothing about mandatoriness. 'Must' or 'have to' emphasizes that aspect.

I think the verb [STRIKE]tensde[/STRIKE] tense is present continuous. Why do you think it is not?

The present continuous would read "We are engaging women ..." That's not what it says. It says "We should be engaging women ..." which, as 5jj already said, is the modal "should" followed by the bare infinitive progressive "be engaging".

For me, "We should be engaging women ..." means "It would be a good idea if we ..." or it is a statement of the writer's belief that it would be a good idea.

Please note my amendments to your post above. Remember that we put a space directly after a full stop before starting the next word.

Status
Not open for further replies.