Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

In 2007, the egg industry applied to re run the ad to mark its 50[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary and was shocked when it got a knock back from advertising watchdog The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre. They decided that it failed to promote a varied and balanced diet and that eating an egg for breakfast every day does not constitute a healthy diet!

The way I understand the whole sentence, considering the bolded fragments, is like this:

In 2007, the egg industry asked, in writing, for permission to show again the ad to mark its 50[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary and was shocked when it got some portion of criticism back from advertising watchdog The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre.

Thank you.

Cooee - look at me!: Go to work on an egg . Enduring slogans (1)

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everybody!

In 2007, the egg industry applied to re run the ad to mark its 50[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary and was shocked when it got a knock back from advertising watchdog The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre. They decided that it failed to promote a varied and balanced diet and that eating an egg for breakfast every day does not constitute a healthy diet!

The way I understand the whole sentence, considering the bolded fragments, is like this:

In 2007, the egg industry asked, in writing, for permission to show again the ad to mark its 50[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary and was shocked when it got some portion of criticism back from advertising watchdog The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre.

Thank you.

Cooee - look at me!: Go to work on an egg . Enduring slogans (1)
How did you get the meaning that the industry applied in writing? One can apply in various forms. Electronic applications are becoming very popular. In addition, one can apply: by telephone or in a face-to-face meeting, among other possibilities. It may be that "knock back" is slang from the UK. I am unfamiliar with it. It could mean criticism or a denial to run the ad again.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What do others have to say about it?

How about this?

In 2007, the egg industry asked to be allowed to show again the ad to mark its 50[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary and was shocked when it got some portion of criticism back from advertising watchdog The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What do others have to say about it?
You have asked a similar question in several threads. You may not intend this, but it does rather sound as if you are not satisfied with the original answer and want a better one.

Generally speaking, if one of the senior members feels that an incorrect message has been posted, we step in to correct it. If we don't, it's probably OK.

The writer of the original sentence may have meant a knockback, or may have meant a knock (definition 3) back (in response). Gill's guess was close enough

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I just want to make sure that I get a fragment right 100 %. If I weren't satisfied with your answers, I would have left the forum long ago and started looking for something else. The famous proverb says "You live and learn (all your life)" and it applies to me, too. Besides, I appreciate being corrected by the people whose language I like very much.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I just want to make sure that I get a fragment right 100 %.
Fine, but you need to know that in the British/American tradition we normally thank someone for trying to help us before we request a second opinion. This is especially true in forums such as this, where everyone who responds is giving up his/her free time in an attempt to help people who submit questions.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,

Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

It could be worth checking The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre website to find out how the application process takes place and what they do.
cheers

Last edited:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As far as appreciation for efforts made by the forum members is concerned, you are 100 % right, 5jj. I have something to work on.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As far as appreciation for efforts made by the forum members is concerned, you are 100 % right, 5jj. I have something to work on.
Don't worry too much about it. To some people, the American/British insistence on a suitable supply of pleases, thank yous and sorrys can seem a little excessive. We probably seem rather hypocritical to people from some cultures. However, non-native speakers need to be aware that these words are important in British/American culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.