[Grammar] I am puzzled utterly by the two questions ,and I need your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Buedow

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There are 2 questions:
The first:
The lenses in an optical microsope bend the light passing through a specimen to form an image of that specimen that is much larger______actually viewed.
A. than it B.than the one
I chose A but the correct is B ,I am confused with it and I don't understand why B is suitable for this sentence instead of A .

The second:
________Sarah Orne Jewett, a nineteenth-century writer, read widely in her family's extensive library.
A . The little formal education that she received B. Although she received little formal education
The correct is B,but I think both of A and B are all right.Therefore,I hope someone to tell me why A is unsuitable.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me about this tow questions:-D.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are 2 questions:
Please ask only one question in each thread.
________Sarah Orne Jewett, a nineteenth-century writer, read widely in her family's extensive library.
A . The little formal education that she received B. Although she received little formal education
The correct is B,but I think both of A and B are all right.Therefore,I hope someone to tell me why A is unsuitable.
A gives us no link to the main clause following it. We need a word such as 'despite' before it to give that link.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
<<<The lenses in an optical microsope bend the light passing through a specimen to form an image of that specimen that is much larger______actually viewed.
A. than it B.than the one
I chose A but the correct is B ,I am confused with it and I don't understand why B is suitable for this sentence instead of A .>>>

The correct answer is B. B says that the image is larger than the real specimen. A would have the image viewing the image. It makes no sense.

Randy Buedow

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your explaination to my question,you had helped me to grasp the point of the grammer knowledge in the above sentence more accurately.

Randy Buedow

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Firstly ,I must express my gratitude for your reply,but I still consider there is a equation between " The little formal education that she received " and " The little formal education as she received" .Would you please allocate one minute to explain my new query, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.