Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He uses anecdotes from the main historic crises to explain financial jargon which is not only thick, but changes over time. Thus, the wobbly British “discount houses” of 1866 are replaced by bubbly American “trusts” in 1907.

Are there any special meanings for the words "wobbly" and "bubbly" in this context? Their general meanings seem to make no sense here and I cannot find any other meanings in the dictionary.

Thank you so much for your help.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Something that is wobbly, is unsteady, swaying from side to side, ready to collapse at any moment. Something that is bubbly is exuberant, full of life and energy.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You have quoted The Economist of May 18, 2013. Given that and the context of the article, bubbly does have a special meaning here. It refers to the economic concept of a price bubble, which is a peak in prices due usually to speculation or unbridled enthusiasm in a market. An economic bubble is said to burst when eventually prices take a sharp drop.

Last edited:

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You have quoted The Economist of May 18, 2013. Given that and the context of the article, bubbly does have a special meaning here. It refers to the economic concept of a price bubble, which is a peak in prices due usually to speculation or unbridled enthusiasm in a market. An economic bubble is said to burst when eventually prices take a sharp drop.

Let me put it this way. Do you agree that "bubbly" is a more explicit term to describe economic instability than "wobbly" because the writer is talking about financial jargon changing over time here?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No I don't agree. The writer is indeed alluding to a case of financial jargon evolving over time, but that does not make one usage better or more explicit than the other. By the way, this usage of bubbly is a bit of novel coinage. I've never seen it before.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have- the Economist is a British publication, so it may be BrE.

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No I don't agree. The writer is indeed alluding to a case of financial jargon evolving over time, but that does not make one usage better or more explicit than the other. By the way, this usage of bubbly is a bit of novel coinage. I've never seen it before.

I see your point. There is no connection between "bubbly" and "wobbly" and they are equal in terms of sentiment. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.