Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would the word 'numberage' be a legit word? I've heard people use it but haven't been able to either find it in SOED or in my Webster.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Everybody should bookmark the OneLook Dictionary Search.

The site searches over 70 dictionaries; 'numberage' is not found in any of them, so forget it.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: If anyone uses that 'word', they are presumably language learners wrongly overextending the (generative) rule that '-age' can be added to certain nouns (porter -> porterage, percent -> percentage...), and to certain verbs (marry -> marriage, post -> postage) to make a new abstract noun. Within certain areas of business, there may be a jargon usage; for example, if a business makes number plaques for houses they may find it usuful to invent such a 'word'. If a form asks 'What does your business do?', they may say - if there is a small box for the answer, and single words like 'numbering' or 'numeration' don't do the job (because they're about assigning numbers rather than producing plaques shaped like numbers - NUMBERAGE instead of 'We make house numbers.' I wish they would resist the temptation. It was presumably this sort of laziness that allowed people to coin 'signage' which is now- regrettably - in wide use (OneLook lists 21 dictionaries that admit it).

b

PS Don't be misled by the 600,000-odd Google hits. Google ignores punctuation, so those hits include 'number, age', 'number. Age', ...and so on,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.