Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Not only do I not like it when people use cell phones in theaters but also when they use them on buses.

Can I say:

Not only don't I like it when people use cell phones in theaters but also when they use them on buses.

Do we have any rule for this?

Not only do I not like it when people use cell phones in theaters but also when they use them on buses.

Can I say:

Not only don't I like it when people use cell phones in theaters but also when they use them on buses.

Do we have any rule for this?
Neither of those sentences is natural. I can't think of a need for them.
"It's not only in theatres that I don't like people using cell phones; it's also on buses."
"I don't like people using cell phones in theaters or on buses" is basically what you are saying.

"Not only do I not like it when people use cell phones in theaters, but I also don't like it when they use them on buses." - if you have to use this construction.

Neither of those sentences is natural. I can't think of a need for them.
"It's not only in theatres that I don't like people using cell phones; it's also on buses."
"I don't like people using cell phones in theaters or on buses" is basically what you are saying.

"Not only do I not like it when people use cell phones in theaters, but I also don't like it when they use them on buses." - if you have to use this construction.

Thank you, the first sentence, 'Not only do I not like it when people use cell phones in theaters but also when they use them on buses.' is from a native reference 'SUMMIT' and the next sentence was my question, 'Not only don't I like it when people use cell phones in theaters but also when they use them on buses.'
My question is: can I put not with the auxiliary verb, 'do'? ('do not' or 'don't')

Yes the structure does not seem natural but I have to use NOT ONLY at the start.

Thank you again,
ata

If you MUST start with "Not only" then you have been given an answer already.

Thank you, the first sentence, 'Not only do I not like it when people use cell phones in theaters but also when they use them on buses.' is from a native reference 'SUMMIT'
This native is not a very elegant writer. This is not how you use the "not only... but also" construction."
and the next sentence was my question, 'Not only don't I like it when people use cell phones in theaters but also when they use them on buses.'
My question is: can I put not with the auxiliary verb, 'do'? ('do not' or 'don't')

With the "Not only" beginning, invert and keep the subject immediately after the verb. Not only do I not ... - you can see this is awkward in many cases, but it's better in my opinion than "Not only don't I..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back