Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
We use the present continuous to say what you have already arranged to do. Do not use "will" to talk about what you have already arranged to do. (English Grammar in Use-Cambridge)

I was wondering if the following sentences both possible in written English.

1. The wedding will take place at St. Andrew's on August 30th.
2. The wedding is taking place at St. Andrew's on August 30th.

Thanks.

Last edited:
We use the present continuous to say what you have already arranged to do. Do not use "will" to talk about what you have already arranged to do. (English Grammar in Use-Cambridge)

Thanks.

Both of those sentences are correct. I actually prefer the first. I disagree with the rule you have quoted.

Both of those sentences are correct. I actually prefer the first. I disagree with the rule you have quoted.

Thanks MikeNewYork

Does American English prefer to use "will" instead of "present continuous" when we talk about the future? Why did you
disagree with the rule I have quoted.

Last edited:
Thanks MikeNewYork

Does American English prefer to use "will" instead of "present continuous" when we talk about the future? Why did you
disagree with the rule I have quoted.

I AmE we use both. I disagreed with your rule only because it prohibited one use. That is simply not true.

Thanks.

The advice in your grammar book is good provided it is correctly interpreted. We normally do not use 'will' to express a personal intention or arrangement (i.e. with 'I' as subject), so that the natural response to e.g. "What are your plans for the weekend?" is not "I'll play tennis with Mark" but "I'm playing tennis with Mark".

Your cited sentences about the time & place of a wedding, however, are essentially considered predictions rather than expressions of intention, and 'will' can indeed, especially in more formal contexts, serve to express predictions (while, conversationally, 'be going to V' is more common). In writing at least, #2 above would be rather unlikely.

Thanks all for your help.

In accordance to the book written by L.G. Alexander thirty years ago:

9.37.2 'Will' in formal style for scheduled events
Will is used in preference to be going to [> 9.44] when a formal style ,, is required, particularly in the written language:
The wedding will take place at St Andrew's on June 27th The reception will be at the Anchor Hotel
(Longman English Grammar-L.G. Alexander)

I was wondering if "will" is used in preference of "present continuous/going to" in modern WRITTEN ENGLISH.

Thanks all for your help.

In accordance to the book written by L.G. Alexander thirty years ago:

9.37.2 'Will' in formal style for scheduled events
Will is used in preference to be going to [> 9.44] when a formal style ,, is required, particularly in the written language:
The wedding will take place at St Andrew's on June 27th The reception will be at the Anchor Hotel
(Longman English Grammar-L.G. Alexander)

I was wondering if "will" is used in preference of "present continuous/going to" in modern WRITTEN ENGLISH.

"The wedding will take place at St Andrew's on June 27th The reception will be at the Anchor Hotel." This is certainly more natural and elegant than it would be with "present continuous" or "be going to".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back