[Grammar] SINCE + simple past or SINCE + pluperfect ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

atsoniaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi there!

Could you please tell me which of these sentences is correct and why?
Actually I think that the sentence "Nothing has changed since he met him" is correct but I need to use the past...

1) Nothing had changed since he met him.
2) Nothing had changed since he had met him.

Thanks a lot !!!
Kind regards.

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
You're right, "nothing has changed since he met him" is correct when you're talking about up till and including right now.

When talking about a point in the past, sentence 2 sounds correct. Because the simple past is used with the present perfect (hasn't changed since they met), using the same simple past with the past perfect sounds odd. Therefore, "nothing had changed since they had met" is talking about a time in the past that does not include the present, because something might have changed between then and now, like in "nothing had changed since he had met him, until they took a vacation together" (and since then, things have changed).

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi there!

Could you please tell me which of these sentences is correct and why?
Actually I think that the sentence "Nothing has changed since he met him" is correct but I need to use the past...

1) Nothing had changed since he met him.
2) Nothing had changed since he had met him.

Thanks a lot !!!
Kind regards.

atsoniaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thank you so much !!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much! [strike]!!!![/strike]

Please note that one exclamation mark is enough and that we don't put a space before an exclamation mark. There is actually no need to write a new post to say "Thank you" - simply click on the Like button on the post you found useful.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't entirely agree. Not everything occurring before something in the past perfect needs to be in the past perfect. Consider:
"Nothing in his love life had changed since he [had] left college - until he met Marie."
The two relevant events in the past are "nothing changing in his love life" and "he met Marie". Having left college doesn't need the past perfect.
"Since he left college, nothing in his love life changed until he met Marie." This gives the same information without any past perfects.
Putting the leaving college only in the past perfect - "Since he had left college, nothing in his love life changed until he met Marie" adds nothing.

I'm firmly of the belief that the past perfect should be used only when it's needed for meaning. And it's usually impossible to tell just from a short two-clause sentence whether the past perfect is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.