In the name of God = (is it used in the UK or Us?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello teachers, I hope you all are fine.

We Muslims when want to read or say something publicly (in front of others like on TV or to start give a lecture) we usually say “In the name of God” . I want to know whether this method is used in the US or UK or not?
As far as I know you don’t use it either in the US and UK. You have something to say about its usage in the US or UK?

Many thanks in advance.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
We Muslims when want to read or say something publicly (in front of others like on TV or to start give a lecture) we usually say “In the name of God” . I want to know whether this method is used in the US or UK or not?

No, this phrase is not (usually) used in such circumstances. Many people in the Europe and North America hold no religious beliefs, and even those who do, do not usually preface what they say in public with "In the name of God...". Is this a requirement in Iran?

Last edited:

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

EnglishLearner1990

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No, this phrase is not (usually) used in such circumstances. Many people in the Europe and North America hold no religious beliefs, and even those who do, do not usually preface what they say in public with "In the name of God...". Is this a requirement in Iran?

No, it is not a requirement in Iran but people usually use "In the name of God" because of their great respect for God.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello teachers, I hope you all are fine.

As far as I know you don’t use it either in the US and UK. You have something to say about its usage in the US or UK?

Many thanks in advance.

Are they trying to affirm that what they are about to say is true?

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No I just want to compare answers and choose the best one. Now i am done. Thanks everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.