Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
"she enjoys life in the city" here what does this sentence really mean? Does it mean she is currently in the city and she enjoys her life or she just generally enjoys life in the city even if she is not living in the city? is it saying a present situation or a general one?

Also can I say "she enjoys the life in the city" which I mean that she is currently living in the city.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

"she enjoys life in the city" here what does this sentence really mean? Does it mean she is currently in the city and she enjoys her life or she just generally enjoys life in the city even if she is not living in the city? is it saying a present situation or a general one?
It can have either meaning.
She moved to London last year and enjoys life in the city.
She doesn't like having to spend two years on the farm, she enjoys life in the city.

Also can I say "she enjoys the life in the city" which I mean that she is currently living in the city.
This can have the same usages as the above example, although I feel it would usually mean that she was living in the city.
You could also say: "She enjoys her life in the city" or "She is enjoying her life in the city".​

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
"she enjoys life in the city" here you mean she is currently in a city; am i right? but I feel, it means she is not in the city. perhaps she has been to the city several times previously and she enjoyed well. But the truth is that she is a villager and lives in a countryside location. She feels herself that it would be better if she is in the city moreover since she enjoyed her life in the city during her stay. In this situation, I would say "she enjoys life in the city". Also she is not currently in the city but also in village. What I want to emphasize is that she is currently not in the city.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I would love to have more opinions. unfortunately no teachers to be seen.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I just stated what I felt. maybe I am wrong.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

As I said, it can certainly mean that she is not currently living in the city.
For example: "She is now living on the farm and must stay there for a few years, which is a pity because she enjoys life in the city".

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Great! I got it.:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"she enjoys life in the city" here you mean she is currently in a city; am i right? but I feel, it means she is not in the city. perhaps she has been to the city several times previously and she enjoyed well. But the truth is that she is a villager and lives in a countryside location. She feels herself that it would be better if she is in the city moreover since she enjoyed her life in the city during her stay. In this situation, I would say "she enjoys life in the city". Also she is not currently in the city but also in village. What I want to emphasize is that she is currently not in the city.

I would love to have more opinions. unfortunately no teachers to be seen.

I just stated what I felt. maybe I am wrong.

You will get more responses (in my opinion) if you show that you are listening to our advice - we have told you time and time again to capitalise the first letter of every sentence and the word "I". I cannot speak for anyone else but I will not be giving you any more help until you make sure that your posts are correctly capitalised.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I will definitely follow all of your advice. I also respect all of you. I am sorry for my mistakes. Thanks for your valuable advice.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It also appears that you waited an entire FOUR MINUTES before complaining of a lack of response. Really? Do you think we all have our computers up 24/7, just waiting for your questions? Do you really think you have the right to complain when none of us answer your questions after four minutes?

Impatience is not rewarded here.

If you want to show she is not in the city now, you can say "She would prefer to be living in the city."

Status
Not open for further replies.