Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again!

He inspires me to try my hardest//and I think I’m probably one of the luckiest people// to be married to Tommy.

Does one of the luckiest people// to be married to Tommy mean one of the luckiest people who is married to Tommy or one of the luckiest people who married Tommy?

I used who is married to Tommy not who are married to Tommy because I think that the word "one" applies to Tommy, not "the luckiest people".

Thank you.

The sentence is borrowed from another forum.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello again!

He inspires me to try my hardest//and I think I’m probably one of the luckiest people// to be married to Tommy.

Does one of the luckiest people// to be married to Tommy mean one of the luckiest people who is married to Tommy or one of the luckiest people who married Tommy?

I used who is married to Tommy not who are married to Tommy because I think that the word "one" applies to Tommy, not "the luckiest people".

Thank you.

The sentence is borrowed from another forum.

"He inspires me to try my hardest//and I think I’m probably one of the luckiest people// to be married to Tommy."
This is an unnatural and confusing sentence. Who wrote it?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As I said, I took it from another forum whose member I am not. I found the sentence by accident. It was written in the form of a footnote. Does my understanding make sense?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As I said, I took it from another forum whose member I am not. I found the sentence by accident. It was written in the form of a footnote. Does my understanding make sense?

No it doesn't, but the sentence doesn't make sense anyway.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can only assume that what they meant was something like "Tommy inspires me to try my hardest and being married to him makes me one of the luckiest people alive".

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Maybe author meant the following:

I’m probably the luckiest person to be married to Tommy = I’m probably the luckiest person because of being married to Tommy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I’m probably the luckiest person to be married to Tommy = I’m probably the luckiest person because of being married to Tommy.

The problem with "I'm probably the luckiest person to be married to Tommy" is that it suggests that several people are currently married to Tommy and that you are the luckiest one of those people.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, I know that. I think Bhaisahab meant this when he said that my understanding is wrong. In fact, I think one of the luckiest people// to be married to Tommy means the same as one of the luckiest people who is married to Tommy or one of the luckiest people who married Tommy from a grammatical or linguistic point of view. It doesn't make sense logically.
As you said, it is impossible for several people to be married to Tommy

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I know that. I think Bhaisahab meant this when he said that my understanding is wrong. In fact, I think one of the luckiest people// to be married to Tommy means the same as one of the luckiest people who is married to Tommy or one of the luckiest people who married Tommy from a grammatical or linguistic point of view. It doesn't make sense logically.
As you said, it is impossible for several people to be married to Tommy

It's not impossible. Bigamy is legal in several countries. I can't see much point in commenting on whether a means b or a means c etc when the original sentence doesn't make sense logically. If it doesn't make sense, then it doesn't mean anything.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yes, that is what was meant. She's lucky to be married to such a wonderful man.

Status
Not open for further replies.