Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
for the presentinuous we used for an action began but not finished yet like this example

1- in the previous picture at the first situation the girl didn't finished from painting her room yet and she said "I've been painting my bedroom"
why she used present perfect continuous instead of present continuous "I'm painting my bedroom" because she didn't finish yet and still at the middle of the action ?

2- the second situation when she finished the action she said "I've painted my bedroom"
why we didn't use present perfect continuous , because the action was happening at long period ?
"like it has been raining" and the present perfect for action which happened at once like "ow, I've cut my finger"

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The explanation given explains it. She thinks of it as an ONGOING activity that started in the past and continues.

In the second one, she's done. She is thinking of it as being completed. She's painted it. It's over.

Please quote the source of these materials. I believe we need to give credit for them.

AlaaGhost

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thanks Barb_D
But i still confuse , why we didn't use present continuous "I'm painting my bedroom" ?
She said "I've been painting my bedroom" [present perfect continuous]
And i Know that we use [present perfect continuous] for action has started in the past and already finished in the present , like following examples
z7.jpg
[Material from English grammar in use Cambridge]
They've been shopping.
She's been watching.
They've been playing.
He's been running.

All these actions happened in the past , while the example of the girl who painting , she wasn't finish the paint.she was just taking rest and will continue.

AlaaGhost

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thanks Barb_D for your help , but i made a new replay contain a picture and i mentioned the source from week ago at this topic and there was a message that my post wait for approval first from moderator and i have been waiting and nothing.

AlaaGhost

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Another inquiry
In the present perfect we use (have/has + p.p)
In the present perfect continuous we use (have/has + been + v.ing)

So why at this sentence (They have been married for 20 years) we used been however it's a present perfect.

And what is the deference between (Did you see this movie?) (Have you seen this movie?)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Another inquiry

So why at this sentence (They have been married for 20 years) we used been however it's a present perfect.

And what is the deference between (Did you see this movie?) (Have you seen this movie?)
Try to ask just one question in a thread.
1. "They have been married for 20 years" is the present perfect. (have + past.p. of be) + adjective. Compare "This tomato has been red for three days".
2. The first is in the simple past. The second isn't.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Another inquiry

Think of married as an adjective- they've been married/happy, etc, for 20 years.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Think of married as an adjective- they've been married/happy, etc, for 20 years.
That's what I said - though you are right, of course.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's what I said - though you are right, of course.

Sorry- your reply must have been off the screen and I didn't see it when scrolling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.