English Dubbed. Annotation Subbed. High Definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

facecatwt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Saw it from the video description when watching youtube. what does it mean?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I saw [strike]it[/strike] this [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] on the video description when watching YouTube. What does it mean?

The first part means that the original soundtrack voices have been recorded over with the English version (it has been dubbed into English).
I'm not sure about "Annotation Subbed". The second word probably means "subtitled" or "substituted" but I don't know what the "annotation" might be.
High Definition (HD) refers to the enhanced quality of the original film.

bwkcaj_ca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
May I add a little to the original reply? Actually "dubbing" means the original sound was replaced by an English equivalent, not simply recorded over. "Annotating" in this case means to add written information to clarify or explain a visual object. Thus the annotation probably took the form of sub-titles placed on or over the original video.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I add a little to the original reply? Actually "dubbing" means the original sound was replaced by an English equivalent, not simply recorded over. "Annotating" in this case means to add written information to clarify or explain a visual object. Thus the annotation probably took the form of sub-titles placed on or over the original video.

What is the difference between recording over with the English version and replacing with an English equivalent?

bwkcaj_ca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A lot. In many situations some of the original will still be audible. If you have had the experience of tuning in a radio station with a weak signal which is physically located close to a stronger audio signal from another station, you get a sense or what happens when you try to record over an audio source rather than replacing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.