Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I can't understand the structure of "end with euthanasia for...".Is "end" connected to "for"? Oh, I got it. I think it means ...I don't know.

13)Mercy killing, or euthanasia, is the act of bringing about the painless death of a person...Once allowed, it could lead society down a dangerous "Slippery-slope" and perhaps end with euthanasia for disabled, elderly, and depressed people. Eventually, criminals, the homeless,,,,

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I can't understand the structure of "end with euthanasia for...".Is "end" connected to "for"? Oh, I got it. I think it means ...I don't know.

13)Mercy killing, or euthanasia, is the act of bringing about the painless death of a person...Once allowed, it could lead society down a dangerous "Slippery-slope" and perhaps end with euthanasia for disabled, elderly, and depressed people. Eventually, criminals, the homeless,,,,

Hello, keannu.:-D
Please see this.
According to the website, "Euthanasia is the termination of a very sick person's life in order to relieve them of their suffering."

As for your question, in

"end with euthanasia [for disabled, elderly, and depressed people]"

the words in the brackets modify the noun 'euthanasia', describing what sort of 'euthanasia' it might be.

However, I don't think 'end with' really works here, because the passage goes on to say "Eventually, ..."

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

It would be more appropriate to us "lead to" instead of "end with".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

"This will end in trouble for you!" I'm not sure what you mean by 'end' and 'for' being connected.
Something ends a certain way for certain people.

"I hope this manuscript will end in a successful novel for the author."
"Fire walking can end in burnt feet for those who try it. For those who don't walk on fire, there is less likelihood of ending with burnt feet."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Here "it" means "euthanasia", so even if "end with" is changed to "lead to", it would mean "euthanasia leads to euthnasia", a weird, self-repeating structure.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Euthanasia of the terminally ill will lead to euthanasia of those who are not terminally ill. Just inconvenient.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Smoking marijuana leads to smoking crack cocaine." This does not mean "Smoking leads to smoking."

Status
Not open for further replies.